Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halo lights to replace fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Halo lights to replace fog lamps

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about the halo lights that can be installed for our fog lamps. I have a few questions I would like to ask.

What should I get, the CCFL or LEDs? I hear the LEDs are not as good looking and can't bee seen during the day, as opposed to the CCFLs that are. (which I found odd). And that the LEDs are not seated well and often come loose. (which I also found odd.) However, I hear the life expectancy of CCFL is low. So I am looking for opinions on this matter.

Second, how do they function in your car? Since there is a ring and the bulb in the housing, where do you tie each in? Especially if you don't want the ring to come on at the same time of the lamp. How easy is it to do?

Here is the plan, I have LED switchback turn signals. I drive around with my parking lights (which are the LEDs) and the fog lights all day long as I use them for daytime lights. Well the fog lamps are a yellow color compared to the LEDs in my parking lights/turn signal. As I am trying to figure out what is the best bulb to replace the stock bulbs in my Fog lamps, I thought about the halo ring. During the day and at dusk I thought it would be really good complements of each other; LEDs at the bottom of the bumper and the Rings in my grill.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

I'd love a set of halo fogs to go into my 5.0 as well..

Report back with whatever you find!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

CCFL (flourescent) are much brighter, and the light is more uniformly spread around the halo ring, as opposed to the LED type. But the CCFl do cost much more. The Halo ring on the fogs tie into your parking lights wiring, so the come on with the parking lights, which I think is what you are wanting. Of course, you could wire them to go to a switch under the dash, or whatever you want to make them turn on only when you need them. There are installation instructions on AmericanMuscle.com. You can check there for more install info.
I think the ones they sell are LED though.....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
CCFL (flourescent) are much brighter, and the light is more uniformly spread around the halo ring, as opposed to the LED type. But the CCFl do cost much more. The Halo ring on the fogs tie into your parking lights wiring, so the come on with the parking lights, which I think is what you are wanting. Of course, you could wire them to go to a switch under the dash, or whatever you want to make them turn on only when you need them. There are installation instructions on AmericanMuscle.com. You can check there for more install info.
I think the ones they sell are LED though.....
You seem to know a lot about them. So as to lighting color, when the CCFL look washed out or yellow to my LED Switchback turn signals? or my HID headlights?