Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project STS turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
blackgtstang

Default Project STS turbo!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Need a video....that's gonna sound awesome!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 AM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

Those kits look cool, but i'd be so paranoid about running that on my DD. Turbos that close to the ground...on these roads? Ugh.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Out of curiosity, do you have to run an oil line from the motor back to the turbo? Or is there some sort of dedicated reservoir for the turbo?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I'm curious as to how well these work. How was the fitment? How hard was the install? Have you ran it on a dyno yet? What is the lag like?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with that. My experience with STS was horrible. Hope you have AAA. You are likely to need it when you start seeing the smoke and oil pour from your tailpipes. The scavange pump that returns oil to the engine from the turbo is unreliable. The back and forth tuning process with STS is awful. Tech support is awful. Warranty/return policy is awful.

On the plus side, when it isn't spewing oil out the back, it does make a cool sound and will make the car scary fast.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReverseTime
Those kits look cool, but i'd be so paranoid about running that on my DD. Turbos that close to the ground...on these roads? Ugh.
No kidding, that is insane!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
blackgtstang

yes you have to run an oil line back to the turbo... Fitment of everything is amazing everything lines up perfect... the car is not done yet I still have to run vacuum lines, get a boost-a-pump and just other little odds and ends (not in to big of a hurry because theres still snow on the ground here... And i have heard a ton of people talk about how bad the sts scavenge pump is so im going to be using a turbowerx pump instead, and im going to have the car custom tuned so im not worried about an sts tune.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Using a different pump is definately a good idea, but I am convinced that it will still be the weak link in the system. An electric oil scavenge pump adds a degree of complication that is not necessary to a turbo setup (unless it's remote mounted). It took four tows and three months of arguing with STS for me to come to this conclusion before the STS twins were removed from the car. The turbos are now in my basement awaiting the funds to have my tuner transform it into a conventional underhood twin turbo. Having a good tuner/tech in your corner and avialable is a step in the right direction. I took STS at their word when they said this was trully a DIY kit. It is in fact, NOT quite that friendly of a product.

Other than the inherant design flaw in the oiling system of a remote mount turbo, the STS kit does everything they advertise. Quick spool up and gobs of HP/TQ. Before I removed the kit, I made it to a local club dyno day while I was still in the tuning process. On a rediculously rich tune (AFR was below what the tech's meter would scan), the car laid down 427 HP at 7psi. I think 475 would be easily attainable.

The turbos are safely tucked up out of the way and water ingestion is really a non issue unless you are in water deep enough to completely submerge the intake (then you have other problems anyway!). You do have to be a little carefull of the charge pipes running allong the bottom of the rocker panel though. Especially since you are already lowered. A good speed bump or pulling into a driveway with any kind of curb and gutter takes extra attention....ask me how I know!!!

The only other flaw I see with the remote mount setup is that there is very limited room to grow if you eventually want to go big. The area where the tubo resides is kind of tight for a larger turbo. If you were to put a much bigger turbo back there, I'd be concerned about the heat and proximity to lots of plastic body parts. I think spool time would begin to suffer more noticably as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
blackgtstang

Few more install pics
Blacked out fogs, turn signals and mustang emblem

AEM wideband and boost gauge

Quick Reply: Project STS turbo!