Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlc41
Gentlemen have you thought of dropping the better half off at the front door then go park where ever you want?????
One of the best lines yet. LOL
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Yea I thought about dropping her off at the front door, but she needs the exercise and she can't keep her hands off me, so were I go she goes.
A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away, Well up in Illinois anyway.

I stopped in the middle of the road and let a 18 wheeler pull out from my left, He didn't have enough room so I backed up. He passed and I took off. A guy pulled up to me and yelled at me that I ran into his car. What!!!!!, I pulled over and sure enough there was a dent in my rear bumper that matched his grill, WTF, I didn't know I hit him. After I cussed a little, I agreed to follow him to a repair shop and got an estimate. I wrote him a check.

If I were you I would have drove all over town for the next few days until I found the F150 that the witness described, and If I couldn't find it, I would just chalk it up and move on.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Thats where I am right now. I'll be going back home in a couple weekends and I'll just get it fixed and move on if nothng comes up. Thats 750 bucks of mod money tho.... so hard to just eat it but I've got no choice.

Oh, I looked up hit and runs with my insurance and its def. considered under collision (here in Oklahoma anyway)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Hit and runs are def collisions. But not all collisions are marked against you. If you have full coverage, you do not have to pay the deductible and you might even get a rental car while your car is being fixed. Hit and runs are easy to solve for cops and they get cleared fast as well. The only crucial thing is that you filed the report when the incident took place. If you filled the police report days after the incident took placed, then you're F--ked, cause the coppers cant validate your claim.

Whatever you do, don't be looking for who ever crashed into you because you don't have arrest authority to arrest them. Just pick up the phone and call the cops in case you find them. Because if you find the sh-t head and an altercation takes place, you might catch a case. That makes the situation go from bad to worse !!!! Then you gotta get a lawyer which means more mod money down the drain . Good luck dude.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hit and runs are def collisions. But not all collisions are marked against you. If you have full coverage, you do not have to pay the deductible and you might even get a rental car while your car is being fixed. Hit and runs are easy to solve for cops and they get cleared fast as well. The only crucial thing is that you filed the report when the incident took place. If you filled the police report days after the incident took placed, then you're F--ked, cause the coppers cant validate your claim.

Whatever you do, don't be looking for who ever crashed into you because you don't have arrest authority to arrest them. Just pick up the phone and call the cops in case you find them. Because if you find the sh-t head and an altercation takes place, you might catch a case. That makes the situation go from bad to worse !!!! Then you gotta get a lawyer which means more mod money down the drain . Good luck dude.
Its illegal to make citizens arrests now?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Its illegal to make citizens arrests now?
Depends on the circumstances. For example, if you are at a store, and someone pulls a gun to rob the store, and you intervene, disarm the guy, and hold him down until the police show up, once the police take him into custody, they will make you sign an affidavit of citizen's arrest because it was you who stopped the bad guy.

In the case of hunting down the hit-and-run guy, you open yourself to too many things that could go wrong and land you in court, such as if things go sour and fists start flying, it moves from civil court into criminal court where you are now being accused of assault, and possibly battery too if you actually land a punch.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

You can make a citizens arrest as long as you're preventing a felony or misdemeanor offence while it on going. But cannot conduct your own investigation and start busting people after the fact unless you're the police. If you do so, you can be held liable civilly or criminal should things go side ways.

Example. You see a kid smash your window and run away. You are permitted to run after him and continue "Hot Pursuit" until you catch him and wait till police to arrive. However, if you loose sight of him, you can't arrest him the next day should you find him. All you can do is call the police and give them the lead. Because if you try to arrest the kid after the fact and you break his arm, good luck with Judge Judy $$$$