Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Mustang GT good first car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'll be the odd one out and say not only no, but HELL NO. I think a performance car is a terrible idea for a young guy (or girl). It's just too damn tempting to misuse it. I had a couple Tauruss before I got the Stang and my son or daughter will have something similar...a big, safe car that has enough power to keep you out of danger, but not much more.

Okay, that's my 2c worth now flame away ;-)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CincyGT2009
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say not only no, but HELL NO. I think a performance car is a terrible idea for a young guy (or girl). It's just too damn tempting to misuse it. I had a couple Tauruss before I got the Stang and my son or daughter will have something similar...a big, safe car that has enough power to keep you out of danger, but not much more.

Okay, that's my 2c worth now flame away ;-)
True in most, but not all.

Im just turning 17, and i would say im more cautious then other drivers of my age just because i care so much for my car, that i wouldnt be able to live knowing i wrecked it on my own fault.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

And I respect that. I just don't think that any of us...once we get a few years down the road (I'm now 31) could honestly say we should have had a 300hp pony car when we were 16-18 yrs old. It's just a hindsight thing, I suppose. Anyway, MUCH respect for that healthy and mature attitude, ikemikestang.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm with CincyGT2009 on this one. Maybe if we're all lucky and you're one of those super-responsible kids then fine, but it is sooo easy to push these things (especially with a CAI and tune), and all it takes is one night out with a friend or more, screwing around, and you could end up in deep trouble, or worse, have a death or injury on your hands. If I were a parent (eek...), I would really have to think long and hard about letting my kid's first car be a performance car. I mean when I think about all the dumb crap I did with just the Chevy Celebrity or Olds Cutlass Sierra growing up, it's amazing I'm still around. I can't imagine having the car I have today as a kid.

Anyway, you (and/or your parents) have to decide if it's right for you. Whatever car you decide to get, please think before you do something stupid. Kids will be kids, but damn...one wrong decision (in any car) could ruin your life or someone else's.

Wow, that post was way too serious...:-P
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Yeah, I'm with CincyGT2009 on this one. Maybe if we're all lucky and you're one of those super-responsible kids then fine, but it is sooo easy to push these things (especially with a CAI and tune), and all it takes is one night out with a friend or more, screwing around, and you could end up in deep trouble, or worse, have a death or injury on your hands. If I were a parent (eek...), I would really have to think long and hard about letting my kid's first car be a performance car. I mean when I think about all the dumb crap I did with just the Chevy Celebrity or Olds Cutlass Sierra growing up, it's amazing I'm still around. I can't imagine having the car I have today as a kid.

Anyway, you (and/or your parents) have to decide if it's right for you. Whatever car you decide to get, please think before you do something stupid. Kids will be kids, but damn...one wrong decision (in any car) could ruin your life or someone else's.

Wow, that post was way too serious...:-P
Haha no its ok, i always listen to what you older guys say because obviously your way more experienced than me. At this age ill never have the experience a 25+ year old has behind the wheel, but i still can be careful!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Suddenly I feel VERY old ;-)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i've seen old people wreck their modded cars after they said, "hey, buddy, watch this!"

i think if you are young, buy your own car. then you will respect the power and what it is worth.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Depends on the person....obviously he is responsible...his parents approved the car or he hasn't made a mistake yet. Do we shun people because of age? We give advice when we can and ask for advice when we need it. I read a thread in another forum where a kid was trying to buy a car behind his parents back....he was quickly dealt with and haven't heard from him since.

When I was 17 my first muscle car was a 1970 Dodge Charger 440, 727 automatic with reverse manual valve body and 4.56 gears and my parents approved but, those where different times (1987). I never got in trouble with that car.....not to say I didn't act stupid. Hopefully the young people will also be careful and understand physics and don't become a statistic!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

2006 GT was and is my first car! Just respect what it brings to the table even when you're being egged on by your buddies. They aren't the ones paying the bills, you are. Remember that!

Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I think paying for the car is a great way to make sure you are more careful in it.
If your parents think you could handle the car then go for it. Just say NO to peer pressure. Lol

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang GT good first car ?