Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Mustang

Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

Default Convertible Mustang

Ok, all you convertible owners......need some advice. How is it owning a convertible? How has the top held up? Is the car loud when the top is closed? Just looking for some ideas from current mustang convertible owners! I am only interested in 2005-09 stangs. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've seen a couple of convertible mustang owners that experienced tearing around window area.
Keep in mind, due to the mechanics of a convertible top, it will add anywhere between 110 lbs. - 125 lbs. to the car.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I don't drive my car daily so the top is like new. Its not a show queen either but I drive my old Toyota pickup weekly for work. The tops are quality and are insulated well. They are not noisy or anything like Jeeps or other cars with flimsy tops. Yes I've seen posts about rear windows coming loose but mine has been zero trouble. Hit and miss I'm sure like everything else. Put it this way, if I couldn't have my convertible I would go back to riding Harleys. I LOVE dropping the top on this car! Back in the day I owned an 87 GT and then a 92. The 05-09 GT is by far my favorite car and the best retro design I've ever seen of a production model. Can't blame you for wanting one. Good luck on your quest!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

I drive mine daily (60k miles in 3 years). Bought in dec of 2007, so just past the 3 year anniversary.

The top does get louder over time, but that's to be expected I feel with convertibles. It's still pretty damn quiet in my cabin with the top up, just not lexus quality (I can't hear the world outside) kinda quiet.

I have a cloth top and it's held up pretty well. Still keeps water out when it rains. My top up/top down mechanism is making some tiny noises now, but it still works functionally as well as the day I got it.

All in all, I'm very happy with my convertible still.

Last edited by ensign_lee; 02-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

My dad's convertible GT/CS isn't much louder then my V6/PP. There are only 2 real problems with it. The drivers side has a very slowly dripping leak in really heavy rain (which I am sure the dealer would fix if he asked) and you can't put louvers on the convertible.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM
JimC

I drive mine every day - and every chance I get the top goes down. I have a 45 mile one way commute, bought the Mustang in April 2006 and have 164,000 miles on it.

Haven't had any problems with the top at all. It isn't any noisier than any convertible and seals up a lot better than the 1999 Trans Am convertible we had - (and definitely better than the Chrysler Lebaron GTC, we used to get snowed on driving that car because it would just blow right through the header).
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine for over 4 years now. It isn't the daily driver but I have had no problems at all with the convertible top.

It's hard to beat driving with the top down on a beautiful summer day, one of my simple pleasures. Too bad it's the middle of winter and the mustang is in storage!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
nawagner

Owning a vert is awesome if you like the open air. If I'm driving mine the top is down, so it's really loud! Oh, wait you aksed if it's loud when up. Actually is pretty quiet with the top up and is a much better quality than the older ones. If you are planning on doing any road courses you will need a structural roll bar. That's the only drawback I've seen so far. Oh, and winter because she has to stay in the garage!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine two years, absolutely NO PROBLEMS with the roof. It is much more quiet than I thought it would be, even with my Borla exhaust. Mine is not driven a ton, since winter sucks in Iowa, and it gets stored. About every time it is out, the top is down. There is no better drive than having the top down. I sold my Harley to get the car, and don't regret it one bit. It is great to put down the top and cruise. I could care less about the extra weight. Having the top down is the only way to go!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

I have had no problems at all with the convertible top. I love the option of being able to put the top down. It's like having two different Mustangs for the price of one. You won't regret it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Mustang