Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the Ecoboost - Wish it were in the Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Default Love the Ecoboost - Wish it were in the Mustang!

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Mustang GT. My wife has a 2011 Flex AWD with Ecoboost.

I really love the Ecoboost motor. It is smooth, fast and has torque everywhere! The 350 ft lbs of torque with 90% of that available from 1500 RPM to 5200 RPM.

The Flex weighs about 4800 lbs and it absolutely hauls for this kind of weight. I could only imagine what this engine/trans would do in the Mustang!!

The Flex gets like 20 MPG with 355 HP and 350 Torque with a huge, flat torque curve. All of this from 213 cubic inches / 3.5 liters. In the F150, they turned the boost up from 10.5 to 13.5 and the torque jumped to 420!

Okay, it doesnt sound as cool as the 4.6 or 5.0, but that aside, I would LOVE this engine in the Mustang. Please Ford!!!! Put the Ecoboost into the Mustang!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Ecoboost option? I guess that would be ok.....V8 needs to be the top model option. I looked at the new SHO with Ecoboost. It was nice but, that motor combination doesn't fit the muscle/pony car criteria of the Mustang. Mustangs and V8s are synonymous! Times are changing....let's hope not in favor of a turbo over a V8!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If the ecoboost outperforms the V8 in terms of HP and aftermarket potential, then by all means, bring it on. If, however, the ecoboost is near maxed out compared to the aftermarket of the V8, then please don't replace the more capable engine. On the other hand, a completely separate "SVO Ecoboost" would be a very nice lineup addition for ford. I really don't care about displacement or number of cylinders. I care about performance potential. If I could squeeze a thousand HP out of a weed-wacker engine, then I'd have a weed-wacker engine under the hood, lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
...If I could squeeze a thousand HP out of a weed-wacker engine, then I'd have a weed-wacker engine under the hood, lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I have never heard one of these engines run, so I gotta ask...will it sound like a stang? Kind of a key element in the history of the ride and the buyer imo.

Honestly D, you gonna ride around in that big black nasty soundin like a weedeater on the juice????lol.

Ecoboost and Mustang do sound good together as we boost the economy with the purchase of extra gas and goodies...could be marketable

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
... I would LOVE this engine in the Mustang. Please Ford!!!! Put the Ecoboost into the Mustang!!!
Ecoboost to work its way into the Mustang will probably take until 2014 at the earliest before it is actually put in.

The primary factors that will decide if Ecoboost goes into Mustang are the following:
1) The competition (especially Chevy & Dodge) up the ante and their cars are easily making 400 BHP from their V6s, 500 BHP from their V8s, and pushing 700 BHP out of their top trim cars.
2) EPA: If too many green hippy fanatical politicians remain in office, those guys could very well change the laws such that anything not making 30 MPG is considered gas guzzler. And they could also increase CAFE regs so high that the making and selling Pony cars would hurt Ford, Chevy, & Dodge.
The bottom line here: Vote those bastards out of office, not just at the Federal level, but also at the state level and also. These guys have already helped hurt our economy by helping drive manufacturing to China, we don't need them to hurt our passion for cars when cars do not account for as much pollution they want us all to believe.
3) Fuel demand: China and India are driving oil prices up, thus making gas at our pumps going to $5/gal for 87 octane. It gets worse, if the trend continues, by 2014, my guess (I stress MY guess, I am not an analyst) is that 87 octane could possibly reach $10/gal. People might opt out of the Pony cars and go for 40 MPG 4 bangers, thus Ford would invest research and development in putting EcoBoost into 4 bangers instead of a V8. The result is the Mustang would be neglected and left as is since much fewer people will buy them.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

The local club I am in sponsored by a dealership they said the ecoboost in the Mustang will not happen.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If that is true, the one thing I can see happening is the 5.0L in the GT will get direct injection. And not just in the Mustang, but also in any other vehicle with the Coyote (even F150s, and any other vehicle with this engine).

Ford engineers publicly admitted that the Coyote was designed from the very 1st day to one day mount direct injectors into the heads. When will this happen? I don't know. Maybe 2014 when the S197 chassis is retired from production?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
If that is true, the one thing I can see happening is the 5.0L in the GT will get direct injection. And not just in the Mustang, but also in any other vehicle with the Coyote (even F150s, and any other vehicle with this engine).

Ford engineers publicly admitted that the Coyote was designed from the very 1st day to one day mount direct injectors into the heads. When will this happen? I don't know. Maybe 2014 when the S197 chassis is retired from production?
Looking forward to that day to see the new release!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
The local club I am in sponsored by a dealership they said the ecoboost in the Mustang will not happen.
Dealerships rarely know any more than you or I do.

Quick Reply: Love the Ecoboost - Wish it were in the Mustang!