Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never driven a stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Think of it as learning to ride a bike. At first, it's a little daunting but after the first few times it just gets easier and easier.

I wouldn't have bought my GT as an automatic. It's not my DD, however, but I still use it for long distance trips since it gets better mileage than my V6 SUV. If it WAS my DD AND I did a lot of city driving I'd have thought twice.

I think you'd always question yourself if you bought an automatic.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If you want the stick, you like the feel, and the control, then for sure, save yourself almost $1000 off the the sale price for the manual tranny. The stick does have a manly feel to it, the control over the car you have definitely fill you while driving

As for learning a stick, the hardest part is learning that pesky clutch friction point. On the '11 GT, the friction point is about a quarter way to half way of the pedal being depressed. And on top of that, the power of a Coyote 5.0L, or even from the 4.6L engines are nothing to sneeze at. You cannot step on the gas more than a quarter way down when daily driving because you will seriously jolt the car forward as you let off the clutch. But honestly, it will take practice as you feather the gas and are learning the friction point. You will eventually get it, stepping on the gas just right while releasing the clutch right at the friction point for a silky smooth take off from a stop sign

However, going with auto tranny is not as bad as you think. It is not much more, the 6R80 (automatic 6spd) is only $995 more to option in.
And believe it or not, with a good shift point adjustment built into an aftermarket tune, the 6R80 will shift way better than you can. As a matter of fact, to shift like a tuned 6R80, you have to basically be a professional racer. I know I cannot shift like that.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Are you buying a new one? If so, just go to the dealer and explain to them that you are buying a new mustang, but you cannot decide which transmission. See if there is a salesman that will take you out and teach you on a manual. That's how I learned for the first time. It's easy once you get the concept of how the clutch works. The 2011's are the easiest to drive of them all. My automatic is a monster for drag racing out of the hole, but It's almost kind of boring. Much less fun on the street too.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
PatrickAupperle

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
If you want the stick, you like the feel, and the control, then for sure, save yourself almost $1000 off the the sale price for the manual tranny. The stick does have a manly feel to it, the control over the car you have definitely fill you while driving

As for learning a stick, the hardest part is learning that pesky clutch friction point. On the '11 GT, the friction point is about a quarter way to half way of the pedal being depressed. And on top of that, the power of a Coyote 5.0L, or even from the 4.6L engines are nothing to sneeze at. You cannot step on the gas more than a quarter way down when daily driving because you will seriously jolt the car forward as you let off the clutch. But honestly, it will take practice as you feather the gas and are learning the friction point. You will eventually get it, stepping on the gas just right while releasing the clutch right at the friction point for a silky smooth take off from a stop sign

However, going with auto tranny is not as bad as you think. It is not much more, the 6R80 (automatic 6spd) is only $995 more to option in.
And believe it or not, with a good shift point adjustment built into an aftermarket tune, the 6R80 will shift way better than you can. As a matter of fact, to shift like a tuned 6R80, you have to basically be a professional racer. I know I cannot shift like that.
Sounds interesting to say the least. I think I should be able to learn it fairly easily. I guess the real question is if I want to live with it.

I realized that was true for some autos, but it is interesting that you seem to be suggesting that it is true for many autos. The performance isn't really a huge issue, though. It is all about how fun it is to drive.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
PatrickAupperle

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Are you buying a new one? If so, just go to the dealer and explain to them that you are buying a new mustang, but you cannot decide which transmission. See if there is a salesman that will take you out and teach you on a manual. That's how I learned for the first time. It's easy once you get the concept of how the clutch works. The 2011's are the easiest to drive of them all.
Sounds like a wonderful idea. I guess I will try this. Do you think most salesmen will allow something like this?

Thank you everyone for the input. I am really excited about this vehicle. I am sure I will be happy no matter which I decide to go with.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

This car is actually very easy to drive with a stick, very forgiving. Something to be said about having gobs of torque down at low rpms. Wouldn't be a bad car to learn on, that's for sure.

While you'd think learning on a beater would be a better idea so you don't tear up your new car, you have to realize those beaters are generally cheap POS FWD econoboxes with less than 150hp and 140 ft/lbs of torque. The clutch feel in those is garbage, and you'll have a very hard time finding the engagement point. They are MUCH harder to learn on. Trust me I learned on one, had I learned on something like my Mustang, there would have been a lot less neck snapping and stalls, same with the smell of burnt clutch.

If you can get the Mustang down, you can then progress your way up from there.

Hell, my wife can drive stick, she's not the greatest, but she can do it. She has no problems in the mustang at all, you wouldn't even know she isn't a good manual driver, but when it comes to her trying to drive my 2005 Focus, she can't even get the damn thing moving. She either stalls it, or smokes the clutch. That car has absolutely no friction point in it at all that you can feel. I'm used to it though, I just know when it's going to grab by how far the pedal is off the floor. Has a lot to do with it having a dual mass flywheel and MAYBE 120 ft/lbs of torque.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PatrickAupperle
Sounds like a wonderful idea. I guess I will try this. Do you think most salesmen will allow something like this?
I would think so, if they aren't a complete airhead and they want to sell a car. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Unless you drive a lot in stop & go traffic the manual is the way to go. Automatic Mustangs GTs are great so I'm not knocking them but, the manual Mustang GT is the way the pony/muscle car was meant to be when developed. Either way you will be happy! As far as learning how to drive a manual trans....it's a natural ability you should have no problems learning. Good luck
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PatrickAupperle
I am thinking about buying a mustang, but have never driven a stick shift. From everything that I have heard, a stick shift is the way to go when buying this type of car. Not knowing how to drive one poses some serious problems:
1. I can't test drive it.
2. I don't know if I actually will prefer a stick shift.

The options I see here are:
1. Buy an automatic.
2. Buy a stick and hope it is right for me.
3. Somehow learn to drive a stick before buying this car.

Each of these options has a problem, though.
1. I will always feel that I should have gone stick shift. Trying one would either cure this or make it much worse.
2. I could end up hating my new car.
3. I know no one with a stick shift. My only choice would be to buy a lesser car.

What do you all think I should do?
Lol...posts like this make me smile.

I bought my first standard ever 3 years ago, and it too was in the mustang family.

I couldn't even test drive it. I had no idea how to drive a standard. I had to have someone help me get it home. It sat in the driveway three days while I looked at it. I finally decided it was time to learn, and it just came natural!

These cars are so user friendly. You will be fine. Believe me...I had several male figures attempt to teach me, and I just always ended up crying. Lol

Now my daily driver is a standard, as well as my '03 mustang. In the future, I will be only considering a standard transmission mustang.

Go ahead and do it. You won't regret it, I promise!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

SaddleUp:

"I couldn't even test drive it. I had no idea how to drive a standard. I had to have someone help me get it home. It sat in the driveway three days while I looked at it. I finally decided it was time to learn, and it just came natural!"

I would of lost my mind!!!! Good story!!!!

Quick Reply: Never driven a stick shift