Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique Situation - Cluster Swap - Disabling Passive Anti Theft System (PATS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Unique Situation - Cluster Swap - Disabling Passive Anti Theft System (PATS)

Alright guys and gals... I have a somewhat unique question for those who may have dealt with PATS before. Here goes:

- I want to swap out my cluster for the GT500 Cluster

- From what I understand the PATS (passive anti-theft system) would need to be reset/reprogrammed by the dealer after the cluster swap in order to start the car

- If I can get a tune that disables the PATS system before I make the cluster swap will the car start after I make the swap?

- I won't be able to go to the Ford dealer to get them to reprogram my keys because my keys are no longer "used" since I have the Digital Guard Dawg push start button system installed. My car uses key fobs now and no keys at all. When they hooked my system up the left one of the key heads with the factory chip in it behind the steering wheel so that the PATS system will read it.

- My install guy said that the dealer won't be able to reprogram that because of the way it's set up now.

Anybody have an idea if disabling the PATS system before the cluster swap will solve my problem?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Dmhines put the GT500 gauge cluster in his car. I'm sure he can help.

His install thread has a lot of details: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...010-gt-490121/
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Dmhines put the GT500 gauge cluster in his car. I'm sure he can help.

His install thread has a lot of details: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...010-gt-490121/
Thanks. I read that post already and he had to get the dealer to reset/reflash his system after the swap. My situation is a bit different since I'm not using factory keys anymore.

I also read another post where someone did the swap and didn't have to reset anything. It's just not clear and I don't want to take the risk if I don't know beforehand exactly what is going to happen.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Thanks. I read that post already and he had to get the dealer to reset/reflash his system after the swap. My situation is a bit different since I'm not using factory keys anymore.

I also read another post where someone did the swap and didn't have to reset anything. It's just not clear and I don't want to take the risk if I don't know beforehand exactly what is going to happen.
Here's the thread I was talking about where they made the switch with no issues.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...477780/index2/

That post contradicts the post where the guy had to take his car to the dealer because of the PATS system. Wish I knew which would be the case in my situation.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Here's the thread I was talking about where they made the switch with no issues.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...477780/index2/

That post contradicts the post where the guy had to take his car to the dealer because of the PATS system. Wish I knew which would be the case in my situation.
Fairly sure you´d get the PATS issue. Can you not just call around a few dealers and ask if they have the Ford IDS-VCM programmer needed? And how much it would cost to have them do this, or if it even can be done? I´m not certain, but I think it can then transfer the PATS info necessary to match correctly.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I put a Used GT500 cluster in my 2006 Mustang with no PATS issue. That was not the case with my 2010 so Ford changed something.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
I put a Used GT500 cluster in my 2006 Mustang with no PATS issue. That was not the case with my 2010 so Ford changed something.

Just sent you a PM.... I ordered the 2010 GT500 Cluster from a dealer and it will come programmed with my VIN and mileage. From what Steve told me, as long as he orders the GT500 cluster that was manufactured during the same "build time" as my car then I shouldn't have any issues with the swap. Evidently there are 6 different part numbers for the various "build dates" for the 2010 GT500 clusters. I'm hoping he's right and I don't have issues.

I'm getting a custom tune that will disable the PATS system and I'll load that tune before I make the swap. I'm hoping that will work.

Going to the dealer will be my last resort, mainly because the Ford dealers around here are clueless and I don't want them messing with my car. Push come to shove, I'll go to them if necessary, but trying to prevent it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Hey Dave, just curious, what did they end up charging you for the cluster, and was there a core charge?

And if there is a core charge, will the stock cluster be an acceptable core to turn in?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Hey Dave, just curious, what did they end up charging you for the cluster, and was there a core charge?

And if there is a core charge, will the stock cluster be an acceptable core to turn in?
The charged me 330 bucks for the cluster itself and there was a 300 dollar core charge. Once I send them my stock cluster I get the 300 dollar core charge back, so yes, the stock cluster is an acceptable turn in.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

When I replaced my cluster about a month ago, the dealership charged me like $95 to transfer the mileage.

Quick Reply: Unique Situation - Cluster Swap - Disabling Passive Anti Theft System (PATS)