Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Purist

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
...It would be nice to pass it on to my Children or Grand Children as it becomes a Classic....
Do you REALLY believe that our S197's will become a classic? Sure, it will be nice to see an S197 in excellent shape in 2050 but a classic? I think this lends credence to "love is blind". I'm infatuated with my GT (as is my g/f with her Pony) but neither of us believe it'll become a classic.

If modding your car with non-OE parts is a concern to you, then have at it with Ford parts. You won't have the selection to choose from but if that floats your boat, that's all that matters.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
My Uncle has an all original 64 1/2 with the 200 straight six in it, even has the Original Mustang Hub Caps, I think that is called being a Mustang Purist. So just because it does not have a V8 does not make it any less of a Mustang.
You guys with your BIG BAD V8's need to get off of your high horse, if not for the V6 Mustang there would not be an affordable V8 Mustang.
Is my V6 Mustang going to be worth more left stock, probably not, but neither is your GT. Reason being, straight from Ford you have 2 Engine choices and 2 transmission choices, the older High dollar cars were the unique ones, there is nothing more unique about your GT than my V6.

I think you need a hug. :-)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To add to this, the reason you don't see a lot of posts by "mustang purists" is because how would you go about making a thread in purist form?

"So, today I decided to not change anything on my car"
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

and the retarded V6 vs V8 debate rages on.....
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

My Uncle has an all original 64 1/2 with the 200 straight six in it, even has the Original Mustang Hub Caps, I think that is called being a Mustang Purist. So just because it does not have a V8 does not make it any less of a Mustang.
You guys with your BIG BAD V8's need to get off of your high horse, if not for the V6 Mustang there would not be an affordable V8 Mustang.
Is my V6 Mustang going to be worth more left stock, probably not, but neither is your GT. Reason being, straight from Ford you have 2 Engine choices and 2 transmission choices, the older High dollar cars were the unique ones, there is nothing more unique about your GT than my V6.

Oh really?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Let's drop the V6 Vs GT debate, 'cause we all know it gets no where except a locked thread.

As far as modding or keeping the car "pure" I vote enjoy it while you can. It is possible if you keep your car in pristine condition in the garage with very few miles that it might be worth something someday.....but really, look at ALL the FUN you would have missed out on! Enjoy the car because we may not have that luxury in the future.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

+1

I have to agree with this. There are so many current V8 GT's running around, that the GT will not be much more valueble than a 6 in the future.

And yes, I believe that ANY Mustang 40 years from now will be considered a classic. How many 40 year old cars do you see rolling around these days? Not many.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

This reminds me of when Harley came out with the 100th anniversary edition in 2003. They were supposed to be mega collectors items. Then Harley got greedy and made too many. Nothing at all special about them. They can be had used for the same price as any other used Harley. I've had 3 Harleys myself in the past 10 years. When I bought my first Harley in 2000 I was on a wait list for 6 months. Now you can buy them off the showroom floor most likely in the color you want readily available. The exclusivity of it all is gone. Anybody that can afford it can have a Harley these days.

IMO, the key to being a valued collectors item in the future is limited production combined with a unique style that everyone loved at the time. Nothing has yet to rival 50's 60's and early 70's as anything collectible in the auto industry. I'm sure everyones opinion varies on this. As much as I LOVE my S197 retro look it can never rival the original.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Do you REALLY believe that our S197's will become a classic? Sure, it will be nice to see an S197 in excellent shape in 2050 but a classic? I think this lends credence to "love is blind". I'm infatuated with my GT (as is my g/f with her Pony) but neither of us believe it'll become a classic.

If modding your car with non-OE parts is a concern to you, then have at it with Ford parts. You won't have the selection to choose from but if that floats your boat, that's all that matters.
As far as classics go....anything old could be considered a classic. Some classics are more desirable then others. I don't think anyone responding to this post would turn down a "65" mustang straight six....at a good price but, would prefer a 68 4 speed with a 390 V8 in it!! There's only one reason our generation of cars wouldn't become classics....they will have been scrapped and no longer exist....other than that the future generation would love to cruise our cars in the future as we love to cruise the classics from the past! Automotive legacy!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

When it comes to modding ... I like to upgrade my Mustang and keep it factory looking or looking like something that the factory should have done ...

My biggest mod was the Shaker hood which is now a SuperShaker. Shaker is Ford History so that is good.

Lambo Doors, Big Wings, etc ... are not my cup of tea .. and not something the factory would have done ...

Even my 1971 Maverick Grabber I kept looking factory stock ... but instead of a Lo-Po 2V 302 / 3-speed tranny which is all that was offered ... I swapped in a 4V 5.0 with a 4-speed Toploader. It looks factory original ... but made the car more of a muscle/pony car like Ford should have done.

Quick Reply: Mustang Purist