Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Purist

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Will our cars be classics in the future? hell yes. Will our cars be collector items, where people fight over? Who knows, depends on the market, most likely not.

But to the original poster. its your car!! If you want to leave it stock, thats great. Its always fun to see a 100 percent stock car at a car show in amazing condition. The show i frequent in the summer time has a few SN95s and fox's you swear came off the Ford line last week. Bone stock down to the paper air filter and all paperwork. Always nice to see that.

But... its fun to mod your car. even if your just replacing a shift ****. i think in the future your car will be just as valuable with some simple and fun mods.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Nothing has yet to rival 50's 60's and early 70's as anything collectible in the auto industry. I'm sure everyones opinion varies on this. As much as I LOVE my S197 retro look it can never rival the original.
It's better to me the more time has passed. Enough of that late 60's-early 70's look, with today's technology though and through.

Much like my house, everybody says it has "character", I think it's got issues, which I'd love to solve with a few sticks of dynamite to start over if the funds where there. My parents rotary phone is a classic, nice to look at, damned if I wanna use it though.

As for the OP, with purism for down the road, if that's a true concern, as mentioned previously I'd just box up the parts replaced. For keeping any car that long much of the interior and mechanics will likely need to be replaced and/or re-vamped anyhow. The plastics should last forever if not exposed to direct sunlight, but wiring, carpeting, and down the list will need to be replaced, same as any restoration (or well kept old) car in the past. And same as them, it's doubtful it will even be possible to get everything as OEM.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

The Mustang will live on as long as Ford doesn't try to "Euro" or "Rice" the thing. There are enough people out there totally destroying the classic look of the Mustang with these cheesy body kits and giant trunk wings.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Anyone who is holding on to one of these cars thinking it will be worth a lot of money in the future is delusional. First of all, if it WERE going to be worth something, it wouldn't be for 40-50 years and even then it would have to be completely immaculate with very low miles and all the paperwork. Second, these cars are a dime a dozen so unless you have something fairly unique that has never left the garage, it is not going to be worth anything. I personally don't plan on waiting 40 years to find out. Oh and V-6 or V-8? Who cares, neither will be worth anything.

Last edited by chain1; 02-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
No offense, but you drive a V6 convertible. That's not exactly Mustang "purist".
No offense taken, and I am sorry but you could not be more wrong. My very first Mustang was a 1964 1/2 fastback. It had a 200 Sprint in line 6 cylinder with a 3 speed manual transmission. One of those today in original condition is worth 3 of the new Mustangs. Anyone who remembers the original Mustangs remembers the 6 cylinders that came with them and even the 4 cylinders that came along later.

The motor does not make it a Mustang, it is the style, it is the Look, It is the Tradition, It was designed to be an affordable sports car for the common people of America. This car was never intended to compete with Ferraris, Lamborginis, or even Corvettes, it is intended to be fun, sporty, quick, and now.... A classic. At my age I know speed, I know Muscle, and I know classics, I have had all the above, and I know that future value has nothing to do with motor size.......
So lets have drink together and figure out what i asked, What is original and what is considered a "Mod"
Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Not to sound like a dik....the 1965 six cylinder was marketed as the "secretary's car". The car was very popular and became an Icon when the 289 K code/GT was introduced....that's not an opinion....fact.
If the V8 was not introduced it would be remembered the same as a Maverick or Falcon....????
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
You can get your window sticker here:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...FT80N475307919

After vin= just add your VIN number and your window sticker will show up. You can save it as a PDF file or print it and laminate it for preservation.
There is no place in the link that will let me type in my VIN.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I'd rather take a classic mustang inline 6 than a s197 GT.

While the s197 is okay, nothing beats the classic mustangs of the 1960's.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
I see all kinds of threads on modifying the Mustang, but I am not seeing anything on the Purist line of Mustang owners, with items that can be done to our cars without damaging the "Purist" Mustang value. While I know that my particullar Car will not be of any great value in my lifetime, It would be nice to pass it on to my Children or Grand Children as it becomes a Classic (Which I do hope to see in my lifetime....LOL)

So with that being said, is there anyone here running all Ford Factory add ons or accesories? Is there anyplace where I could order a copy of the Build Sheet and the Original Window Stickers to keep with the vehicle?

The problem here that I see is that there are way too many S197 cars for it to ever become a classic.
You 2010 4.0, and even my 2011 5.0, will not see classic status (it will take some drastic event for our cars to become classics).

A GT500 is a different story because those are limited production cars. The 2012 & '13 Boss will become classics also because those are limited production cars too.

The only way our non-limited production cars will ever have a chance to become classics is if the vast majority of S197s become junked, wrecked, stolen and chopped, etc. Just then, will our non-limited production S197s have a chance of becoming classics.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
There is no place in the link that will let me type in my VIN.
http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...owSticker.pdf?vin=1ZVFT80N475307919

In the web address your supposed to type in your vin number after the vin= and hit enter like your opening a new web address.

I never tried this....I don't know/like placing my vin on the net.

Quick Reply: Mustang Purist