Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Purist

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...owSticker.pdf?vin=1ZVFT80N475307919

In the web address your supposed to type in your vin number after the vin= and hit enter like your opening a new web address.
Oh, thanks!
I thought it was a box in the field of the sticker display!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
I think you need a hug. :-)
I'm good

Originally Posted by akiba17
Oh really?
Your Bullet might be a little different
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
What is original and what is considered a "Mod"
I think you´d probably know the answer as much as anyone else here. At least IMO, that´s totally subjective.

I´d pay more for a 60´s to early 70´s that was stripped down to it´s frame and only had the outward appearance left from the time. Brakes, engine, trans, even the dash replaced with something better. But I´m not a purist. And I don´t have that much experience with muscle cars, or am I old enough to have had them in the past. While I appreciate their look, and what was behind it at the time, muscle, and engineering wise, I´m not beholden to it.

I´ll be damned if I´ll pay 30K+ for a car that takes a week to stop, has a 50lb pressure plate clutch, 3 speeds, with a dash that looks like an engineer vomited on it to get the signature look. And to top off, if your lucky, you might be able to get an FM station instead of just AM. Yeah, pass.

I would ¨assume¨ things like the rear-end diff, superchargers, CAI´s and the like wouldn´t hurt the purist value, but should value be kept in that purist vein, you´d need only look to what´s sought after in the older ones now I think. Matching engine #, things specific to the tag and model at the time.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

@ OP

To answer your question about what a mod is considered.

Anything you do to your car that is not OEM or stock is considered a mod.

Your car may not meet the "classic" criteria in the future but i wouldn't think light mods would change anything as long as you kept all the paperwork and OEM stuff in storage for replacement.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
No offense, but you drive a V6 convertible. That's not exactly Mustang "purist".
No offense, but you're coming up as a jack ***, no?
Great contribution to the thread here champ.

Like the OP said, a classic 6 cyl fastback is worth more than the coupe V8 of the same year.
Oh no! How's that happened??

Actually, no one is willing to pay more than $5000 for a V8 65/68 coupe in good condition.
Sure can't say the same for a vert or fastback 6 banger.
And for a 69/70 Coupe (Grande, they were called), people are almost laughing at you if you're asking more than 2 Grands, lol. Doesn't matter the shape...
It doesn't make too much sense, but that's how the market is and has been.

Since the S197 only comes with verts or coupes... I could be wrong of course but outside the Shelbys, Bullits and maybe CSs, I can't see a lot of collector material here.
The Iaccoca version will be a collector for sure real soon though...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

canceled

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-10-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Here's the funny thing about collectables....the future generation will make that decision on what's collectable....not us. The S197 may or may not be embraced....I would bet the Fox/S95/S197 will be embraced as a collectables. All we can do is speculate about the future's interests. Our generation made the muscle car era cars collectables.....we are the market.

Back in the muscle car era (60s) they would of never considered those mustangs and a lot of other cars collectables....my father reminds me everytime we watch Barrett Jackson "if I only still had that car". A car he junked back then and in junk condition today would sell today for $20,000! Who would of known back then....is what the old timers say today. No one would of guessed a collector car market would of been created.

Commercially/Mainstream.....An established car collecting market with set/avg prices didn't occur until the 80s and really/noticeably started to flourish in the 90s and now we have all these car collecting segments. We know our current Mustangs will be considered Pony/Muscle cars by the future generation but, will it make a difference if some of our Mustangs been modified?.....I look at it like this....would I be happy purchasing a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 with period Hi Performance Modifications? Of course I will be happy....That would be my 1st choice!

There's always a buyer for everything. Will a stock/original car draw more money then period modded car? No....it's about the same....depends on the situation. Some will sell for more or less....depends on the situation!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
My Uncle has an all original 64 1/2 with the 200 straight six in it, even has the Original Mustang Hub Caps, I think that is called being a Mustang Purist. So just because it does not have a V8 does not make it any less of a Mustang.
You guys with your BIG BAD V8's need to get off of your high horse, if not for the V6 Mustang there would not be an affordable V8 Mustang.
Is my V6 Mustang going to be worth more left stock, probably not, but neither is your GT. Reason being, straight from Ford you have 2 Engine choices and 2 transmission choices, the older High dollar cars were the unique ones, there is nothing more unique about your GT than my V6.
Funny thing, the guy you are responding to has a v6

Originally Posted by pdonket
To add to this, the reason you don't see a lot of posts by "mustang purists" is because how would you go about making a thread in purist form?

"So, today I decided to not change anything on my car"
Best quote of the thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

"A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences".

It doesn't matter if it's a V6 or V8....the purist wants/likes OEM original....as is from the factory! Nothing added! Nothing altered! Definitely no BLING! If you bought a Mustang with a V6 and installed a V8....the purist would be unhappy.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by daredevil95
"A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences".

It doesn't matter if it's a V6 or V8....the purist wants/likes OEM original....as is from the factory! Nothing added! Nothing altered! Definitely no BLING! If you bought a Mustang with a V6 and installed a V8....the purist would be unhappy.
That's pretty much it...
Purists hate me because I'm a Restomoder, lol.

Quick Reply: Mustang Purist