Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe and disabling rear o2's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Default X-pipe and disabling rear o2's.

Quick question on tunes for people that have catless x-pipes. I know the tune disables the rear o2 sensors, no biggie there. However when emission time comes around and you got to get things checked out, do the o2 sensors come back as showing "Not available / not applicable" or do they say "Not Ready".

Just curious on this, because a "not ready" would mean instant fail here. But a "not available / not applicable" would mean I'm good to go.

Granted it's not a huge deal, because it takes less than an hour to swap the stock pipes back in and change the tune back, but still. I'm lazy and would rather spend that hour doing something else than laying on my back on concrete.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

My brother was fooling around at a friend's shop and had his tested (O/R x, tune) and it said the OBD II self test was incomplete and it said "not ready". The guy told him it would most definitely fail with that error. With the rear O2 sensors disabled I don't think the system is able to complete the self test and defaults to "not ready" with a generic P1000 code that doesn't trigger a check engine light. FYI, every time I reload my tune I clear that same P1000 code from my car. I just return mine to stock at inspection time because here in my part of VA we have to pass the visual inspection for converters (it's not like the race car noise doesn't give it away), but we don't get the computer test. Maybe somebody more familiar with tuning and the emissions testing will chime in but I would bet the whole system will default to "not ready" and it will not pass.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Well here in MO, we have a visual cat inspection, and a CEL / OBDII inspection. If they don't see cats, and your CEL is on, you are screwed.

However, due to my employer, I can bypass the visual inspection no issue, but not the OBDII, if that shows "not ready" I'm dead in the water.

Then again, it might be possible that I can get an emissions waiver since I drive my car less than 12k miles a year.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

It'll show up as up to 3 "not readys". If that's checked by your inspection station, you will fail. We here are allowed only 1 not ready, what a pita!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
It'll show up as up to 3 "not readys". If that's checked by your inspection station, you will fail. We here are allowed only 1 not ready, what a pita!
Well, that sucks. Sort of.

Here's hoping I qualify for an emissions exemption (although if I keep going to those Texas cruises, I may not). If not, no big deal, guess I just need to crawl my lazy butt under the car and put the stock pipes back up.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I do not know if Texas emissions includes a plug-in to the OBD, in non-emissions counties that is, I think they only do a visual.

But in Texas, the emissions counties DO use an OBD plug-in and also a sniff test. You would fail in the emissions counties.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

I don't actually live in Texas, I want to, but I don't. I just go down there quite often.

I live in Missouri.

I'm currently reading up on the requirements to be exempt from emissions up here, and it's confusing as hell. According to some of it, I am exempt, and according to some other parts, I'm not. So I dunno. Suppose I need to call the DMV on Monday and find out for sure. I need to get the ball rolling some anyways, my plates expire here in a few weeks.

I really should just register my car over in Illinois in a county that doesn't have emissions. That would be great, no emissions, no safety inspection, aaaand no personal property tax.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
linumup

Default X-PIPE AND DISABLING REAR02'S

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Quick question on tunes for people that have catless x-pipes. I know the tune disables the rear o2 sensors, no biggie there. However when emission time comes around and you got to get things checked out, do the o2 sensors come back as showing "Not available / not applicable" or do they say "Not Ready".

Just curious on this, because a "not ready" would mean instant fail here. But a "not available / not applicable" would mean I'm good to go.

Granted it's not a huge deal, because it takes less than an hour to swap the stock pipes back in and change the tune back, but still. I'm lazy and would rather spend that hour doing something else than laying on my back on concrete.
R U HIGH THAT SOUNDS LIKE RICK JAMES MO FO
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Texas has no personal property tax, only house & land are taxable property. You pay sales tax, for all personal property, but after that, that's it.

Unfortunately, in Texas, there is always a DPS (state police) inspection sticker, regardless of what county you are in. And a select few counties have emissions test (OBD plug-in & sniff test).

Coming to Texas will exempt you from personal property tax (i.e. annual tax on your car), but you will unfortunately have to exploit your home state for the non-inspection & non-emissions part.

I should mention: In Texas, every year, you have to pay a license plate fee (called a vehicle registration fee) plus you have to pay for the DPS sticker (inspection sticker).
Both of these things are very much a tax, they are simply called something different.