Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FML, the V6 is HURT.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Default FML, the V6 is HURT.

Well guys, yesterday was a pretty bad day for me and my V6. On the way to school, heading south on the 281 access road right across from the Goodwill/Bowling alley area, I was in the left most lane and some tool decided to make a lane change without noticing my 2011 Mustang in the lane right next to him. So, the guys car moves into my passenger side and takes out my mirror, denting my whole car in the process. We pull over and he flys out his car screaming and cussing at me saying I have a yield sign and that I suck at driving. At this point I call the cops and tell them what happened and that the other driver is threating me. The guy get in his car and calls a friend to act as a witness, then starts staring at me all mad and what not.

Long story short, he is trying to blame this on me. WTF? oh well. We are both insured, and I know it was NOT my fault at all.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Dude, that sucks... Were there any skid marks where either or both of you slammed on the brakes after contact to prove what lane each of you were when it happened? This can prove who side swiped who. Also, sometimes at the yields where the ramp and access roads meet there will be double white lines painted, meaning you cannot cross there. Did the collision happen in a situation as this? Should be straight forward that if the police is unable to determine fault, you will each have to file your claim with your insurance and the other driver vice versa.

Hopefully the damage can be fixed quickly and by a quality shop so you can enjoy your nice ride sooner than later. Also, at the end of the day, luckily you were not injured since cars can be fixed/replaced, but injuries can last a lifetime.

Keep us updated.
Don
Old 02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Whats the police report say?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear.

Well, did you have a yield sign?

Also, make sure to report that he called a friend to be a witness.

I've learned to just bust out my phone immediately to start recording the license plates, the damage, the other driver and his actions. Some chick in a brand new Range Rover did the same to my previous car and claimed that her daddy was a cop and would make sure it's my fault.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Yep, its just a car, and it will get fixed. Nope, I did not have a yield sign at all, I know the area since it was like less than 1 mile from my house.

The lame part is that the police officer did not right a report or say who was at fault. He told us that since there was not a fatality that the accident is now a civil matter, and the insurance will have to sort it out on their own. He personally told me that he thinks it was both drivers faults though.

Apparently the other driver claimed I was speeding, and the police officer said because I am a young kid with a fast sports car that he found it hard to believe I wasn't speeding. WTF???? I was going 35 MPH when the limit was 45, it was heavy traffic, and the damage would have been way worse if he was speeding as he claimed.

Also, due to the slow speeds of the accident, there are no skid marks.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Well that sux. Sorry about your ride but it's not that bad and I'm sure you'll get it fixed good as new.

Gotta be careful out there...way too many people drive with their heads up their asses.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Man I feel terrible for your situation.

#1: Because I'm a young kid and I know there are so many bad drivers out there, yet in general people love to think because you're young, you're definitely at fault. Pisses me off because I know that at least I'm responsible particularly while driving.

#2: At our age insurance kills enough as it is...without this kind of thing happening to make it all worse.

I hope everything turns out as best it can because I definitely feel for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Insurance for us is pathetic. That guy sounds like an ignorant *** that hit you. I hope it all gets fixed quickly for you and that guy that hit you gets a blow out or something on his way to something important. Lol.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Something to consider...

After reading about your own experience and wondering what I would do, a news story came on FoxNews talking about civilian dash cams, sort of like the kind cops use. Talk about timing...

I found this product called the VC-100, and it seems like a promising product that I want to investigate further. Not cheap, but if your deductible is $250, then it would pay for itself the very first time you need it. I believe however most people have much higher deductibles, so maybe even more of an incentive.

I am not sure the legality or admissibility of these recordings in a civil suit if needed, but it could certainly offer a level of "CYA" incase it comes to "he-said-she-said" types of accidents, if for no other reason but to discourage A-holes from ruining your insurance premiums.

BTW, you mentioned the d-bag that hit you said you were speeding, but did the officer even ticket you? If not, then don't sweat it, especially since the officer couldn't write the ticket unless he observed it.

Don
Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The part about youspeeding is absolutely inadmissible in a civil case. The is absolutely no way to prove you were speeding. The cop didn't clock you, the cop wasn't even there. And the guy who hit you didn't clock you, he doesn't evenhave a police radar or laser!
If your case goes to court and the ******* dares to accuse you ofspeeding, immediately object and call him out of speculation and further add that he has no evidence to prove you were speeding