Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Computer Fried

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Beholdthecow

Default Car Computer Fried

So a friend and I were applying a custom tune to my '05 V6 yesterday using HP Tuners software and something went wrong during the write calibration process. Long story short the car is dead and the software can't recognize the computer.

I'm looking to get a replacement unit, but I'm running to some confusion. I know the computer for the car is located next to the engine fuse box, near the radiator, here:

When I try to get a new unit, they are asking for a unit code they claim starts with 5r3a and ends in ADD or ADC or similar. I found images on google that look like it should be on a sticker on the ECU somewhere... I'm not seeing that sticker but its not out of the car yet.

I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right part. I read somewhere there is also a computer in the kickpanel on the passenger side next to the interior fuse box. Thats not what I want to replace, right?

I'm looking to get the replacement unit here:
http://www.autocomputersystems.com/f...=0&modulename=

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I believe it is the unit under the kick panel. Pull the kick panel and look for the numbers....
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I doubt you fried the PCM. I would take it in to the dealership first and see if they can flash the stock calibration onto your PCM. The sticker is on the one you marked. That is your Powertrain Control Unit (the one you flash with a tune). The module in the kickpanel is the junction box I believe.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
I doubt you fried the PCM. I would take it in to the dealership first and see if they can flash the stock calibration onto your PCM. The sticker is on the one you marked. That is your Powertrain Control Unit (the one you flash with a tune). The module in the kickpanel is the junction box I believe.
He cant drive it if its dead! lol i would call the dealership before you tow it there
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
I doubt you fried the PCM.
I think it was french fried.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I know he can't drive it dude. I meant unplug the PCM from your car, and get a friend (hope you have at least one friend) to drive you to the stealership. Or if he was too stupid to figure that out on his own, he could push it there...
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Beholdthecow

Yep, cant drive it. I called the local dealerships and they insist on towing the car in before they will look at it followed by about $100 just to look at the box. If I can get a new box for the same then it might be worth a try just to see if it works, then I have a spare. I just don't want to buy the wrong box...

So just to verify - its the box in the engine compartment not the kickpanel, right? And is it officially called a PCM or ECU or what on this model car? The acronyms are killing me.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Dude... you don't just "replace" the PCM of the car. It doesn't work that way. Tow it to the dealership and have them re-flash it to stock.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

I had a similar experience with my Xcal2. It bombed out about halfway thru writing and then would not see the PCM. I ended up shutting everything down and then tried to read any DTC codes and it connected to the PCM and said no codes found and then I was able to select and load a tune...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/locatingpcm.html - not in the kick panel

Quick Reply: Car Computer Fried