Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well my day took a turn... for the worst

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Default well my day took a turn... for the worst

so i had started this day at 12:00 thinking i would finish up my stripes, and i am now sitting here at 5:30 and not one new piece of vinyl has touched my car. The reason for this is as follows...

I ended up removing my spoiler the 3rd brake light and my rear blackout pannel to run my new stripes. After getting all that done i decided to take my polisher to it.

Well one of the draw strings on the pads flung off and etched my trunk paint a little.

Well no big deal right... i buff them out for the most part to the point where what would not be seen by new stripe would be really hard to see.

My dad walks over and took a look and came up with the good idea of wet sanding the remaining out.

At first i didnt think so at all, but he was so sure, (he restores cars) and so i said sure. He worked on the area and moved onto another part. He was now wet sanding the old rasor marks of the old stripes so i would not have to cover them up with new stripe.

I thought cool thanks, then i hear him say o ****... i come over, well it turns out he isnt as good as wet sanding as he made himself out to be.

I now have 3, 2 inch wide by 3 foot long DULL marks on my trunk that will not buff out. They are way deep well past clear.

So what started as a few tiny tiny tiny string marks from a buffer turned into 3 huge dull marks...

I didnt make a big deal about it, i actually just sat there for bout a half hour staring at my trunk that is now flat silver... hah
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Whoa, that sucks!
How do you fix such a thing, do you just spray on some new seal and sand that in once it dries?

Also, if it's okay, do you mind posting pics?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I would **** bricks!!! But then again, being a father son situation, he did change your dirty diapers and I am sure he sacrificed many football Sundays to take you to play ball at the park, so I think he is entitled to one mess up. lol

That sucks so much egg though bro
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

It's the thought that counts, dad. lol. Good job for not making a big deal about it. He probably already feels bad enough about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

Just another moment of when it should just be left alone. Hopefully you'll figure something out or your dad does.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Well if your dad restores cars, can he paint too? Have him repaint it or at least reclear it.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

Not like this is gonna make you feel any better but at least your dad is willing to help you work on your car. My dad thinks I waste my money on my stang and that it's a waste of time, let alone even help me do anything to it. Plus I am sure your dad is gonna make it up to you or fix it possibly both!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Oh jeez, man, that sucks.Is he going to pay for it or will you? And are you absolutely sure it is past clear?

Please do post some pictures, if it is not too painful (I know how it is).
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Well if your dad restores cars, can he paint too? Have him repaint it or at least reclear it.
Exactly, lol.

He just took off too much clear...
On factory paint jobs, you don't have much room to play with, and that applies to high end cars as well not Ford only.
If you can feel a scratch with your nail, then it won't buff out.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattstang2007
Not like this is gonna make you feel any better but at least your dad is willing to help you work on your car. My dad thinks I waste my money on my stang and that it's a waste of time, let alone even help me do anything to it. Plus I am sure your dad is gonna make it up to you or fix it possibly both!

Sorry to hear what happened

Quick Reply: well my day took a turn... for the worst