Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's about time...Mustang's coming to Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default It's about time...Mustang's coming to Nascar

Well, the idea is being submitted and hopefully by 2013 the Mustang will run Sprint Cup Nascar instead of the Fusion. This StangTV site has some good stuff.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/ford-sub...-cup-approval/
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

What part, besides maybe the grill is a Mustang? I guess I would root for it!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

That's the way all current Nascar cars are. Pretty much the front grill is part of the stock car. Everything else is built for 200 mph racing. Wouldn't you rather see a Mustang in Nascar than Fusion?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

^^^^yea, I guess so. I've been following NASCAR since the late 70s (40yrs old).....it's really gone down hill in the past 10 years. It was good to see the young guy win the race today....best 500 finish in awhile, due to his age. Did you notice how the cars are paired now....WTF. Drafting has been around as long as Daytona has been around but, it looked pathetic today. Restrictor plate racing???
Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

ill watch stock car racing when they actually run STOCK cars, otherwise its gay. Plus i already thought they were calling the Fords Mustangs...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Yes, they say that push and pull 2 car racing runs faster than not doing it. The down side is if someone wiggles too much, they spin out. That's why there were a record number of 15 cautions today at the race.

Here's what is even more bothersome. I heard today on the pre-race show that 21 million dollars worth of black top was put down at 5 inches thick at Daytona recently. This is done to smooth out the track so they can go faster. Then they put restrictor plates in the air/fuel intake to limit top speeds. Lastly, the drivers now run this push/pull 2 car tactic to go faster.

So, that's 3 things speed related with only the restrictor plates aimed at slowing things down. Wouldn't it be better racing if they forget the restrictor plates and let the cars race like they want to race? What's the difference in 195 mph and 215? Both are crazy fast.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I definitely miss the truely stock cars. It was a different race back then....it was for the better. NASCAR has become to commercialized/boring and that's a statement from a once die-hard NASCAR fan.

I don't think they could race safely over 200 mph. The car might be safe but, the fans/spectators could be endangered. Cars tend to fly when wrecking at 200+mph.

The restrictor plate needs to be modified so that the cars aren't so equal which will give the drivers the ability to maneuver. The lack of ability to maneuver bunches the cars up and were stuck with bunched up drafting. The big tracks at one time were the best races, now it's back to the smaller tracks to see a real race. Bristol & Martinsville are great tracks!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah it would be sick if it were REAL cars racing. Now its just a bunch of commercialized bullsh!t and people racing steel cages with wheels and a motor. This is why I like going down to my local drag strip and watch REAL car race.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah it would be sick if it were REAL cars racing. Now its just a bunch of commercialized bullsh!t and people racing steel cages with wheels and a motor. This is why I like going down to my local drag strip and watch REAL car race.
or check out F1....that's superman racing!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
or check out F1....that's superman racing!
No it's super computer racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpigkyoD8U

Quick Reply: It's about time...Mustang's coming to Nascar