Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11 GT Fueling System/Transmission Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

does the fuel stop flowing every where you take it or do you use the same station/pump all the time? my 05 had that problem on some pumps, but not others.

As for the clunky shifting under load, that is common to these cars, especially the 2-3 shift. it has to do with the engine/tranny binding under load. there are a lot of threads around here on the subject. it boils down to a k-member brace with torque limiters. the only trans issue i know of with the 11's is the clutch pedal stick, then i don't really keep up with those since i don't have an 11. you may well just be seeing the binding issue making shifts hard. i added a mgw shifter, which uses a new rear bushing that looks like that barton one some of you are talking about and it helped some. the k-member brace with torque limiters helped more.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

^ agreed! Haha well, either way I didn't start the thread to have a debate about Chinas quality in products. Just trying to get some answers

Timothyrw, thanks that link helped!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
does the fuel stop flowing every where you take it or do you use the same station/pump all the time? my 05 had that problem on some pumps, but not others.

As for the clunky shifting under load, that is common to these cars, especially the 2-3 shift. it has to do with the engine/tranny binding under load. there are a lot of threads around here on the subject. it boils down to a k-member brace with torque limiters. the only trans issue i know of with the 11's is the clutch pedal stick, then i don't really keep up with those since i don't have an 11. you may well just be seeing the binding issue making shifts hard. i added a mgw shifter, which uses a new rear bushing that looks like that barton one some of you are talking about and it helped some. the k-member brace with torque limiters helped more.
The fueling issue is at every gas station. It takes about 30 min to fill up a full tank. Just got back from a road trip actually and it killed my travel time haha

Yeah, after I get the tranny fixed I am hoping a new shifter and bracket will help me out a lot.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peebz
The fueling issue is at every gas station. It takes about 30 min to fill up a full tank. Just got back from a road trip actually and it killed my travel time haha

Yeah, after I get the tranny fixed I am hoping a new shifter and bracket will help me out a lot.

Thanks for the insight!
Being that your car is so new, definitely go take it over to the dealer because it obviously shouldn't be happening. i haven't run into the problem myself and hopefully I never do. In any case though, go make use of that warranty!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Being that your car is so new, definitely go take it over to the dealer because it obviously shouldn't be happening. i haven't run into the problem myself and hopefully I never do. In any case though, go make use of that warranty!
Well.... after reading 75 pages of posts with 2011 GT/V6 owners manual transmission problems...

THERE ARE STILL NO ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford has tried tons of different possible solutions but none of them seem to work. Their current fix is to replace the pressure plate bolts and replace the transmission with the proper fluid (it came from the factory wrong) XT-11-QDC.

Other than that, people are just getting new transmissions/clutch assemblies/flywheels etc. and still running into the same problems. The MT82 just isn't that great of a transmission and I am beginning to have doubts that the stock clutch is even able to handle to stock hp/tq numbers.

I guess I'll just have to see where things go when I take my car in on Thursday!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

I was having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then after a while 3rd and 4th started giving me trouble. Ford refused to do anything about it so when I read that some people were using better fluids and getting good results I changed mine. I used Royal Purple Sincromax and it has done wonders. Second gear is still a little notchy but only when I first start off in the morning but that only lasts for the first couple of stoplights after that it shifts better than ever. If you can't find a mechanical problem with the clutch or tranny You should try a better fluid.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I have a local racing buddy/friend who switched the fluid in his 2011 GT manual to Penzzoil Synchromesh. His is overly joyed with the difference it made. Here is the thread he posted about it in at SVT Performance.

MT82 thread - SVTP
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
I have a local racing buddy/friend who switched the fluid in his 2011 GT manual to Penzzoil Synchromesh. His is overly joyed with the difference it made. Here is the thread he posted about it in at SVT Performance.

MT82 thread - SVTP
Thanks for posting that link, it was really helpful!

I just have a hard time believing that a simple fluid change can make it ALL better. My car is in the shop now and they are speaking with Ford on what to do. I doubt anything amazing will happen but I'm praying for the best.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

I don't have the GT, but as I understand it, the V6 uses the same transmission, flywheel, and clutch assembly. I had the bolt stretching issue. It was causing rough shifts and a sticky clutch pedal for a few weeks before my clutch went out entirely. I was driving along and went to change gears and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and didn't come back up. Ford changed out the flywheel, switched to a new flywheel bolt design, clutch assembly, and master/slave cylinders. That has fixed the issue for me so far (2,000 miles). Let the factory fix things while your car is under warranty. If after the warranty, your transmission goes out and you still feel like you want an American transmission, I'd buy one then. The factory warranty will cover your transmission for 5 years/60k miles. I'd take advantage of it as much as possible. And I have. I've had my transmission issues addressed, a rear O2 sensor replaced, a new PCM, and I'm scheduled to get my engine ticking fixed next week.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Peebz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LTDan
I don't have the GT, but as I understand it, the V6 uses the same transmission, flywheel, and clutch assembly. I had the bolt stretching issue. It was causing rough shifts and a sticky clutch pedal for a few weeks before my clutch went out entirely. I was driving along and went to change gears and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and didn't come back up. Ford changed out the flywheel, switched to a new flywheel bolt design, clutch assembly, and master/slave cylinders. That has fixed the issue for me so far (2,000 miles). Let the factory fix things while your car is under warranty. If after the warranty, your transmission goes out and you still feel like you want an American transmission, I'd buy one then. The factory warranty will cover your transmission for 5 years/60k miles. I'd take advantage of it as much as possible. And I have. I've had my transmission issues addressed, a rear O2 sensor replaced, a new PCM, and I'm scheduled to get my engine ticking fixed next week.
Yeah, I have a feeling that that is what they are going to do..... I had some grinding issues as well so I kind of worried about the longevity of my Transmission. I might be asking for a warranty extension!

I'm with you on the warranty, I'll milk that as long as it's there to drink!

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: 11 GT Fueling System/Transmission Issues!