Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: GT500 Cluster "Finally" Installed - Workaround Mod - Sorry for the Short Book!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Wow ... that turned out to be an expensivie overlay!!!

I would have bit the bullet and paid the dealer to install the GT500 cluster. You are missing out on the Red/White/Blue special MYColor THEME ... and most importantly .. you are not getting the customizable SHIFT LIGHT and TONE .... I have the SHIFT LIGHT/TONE set for 5500RPM and I use it all the time ... My reflexes aren't that fast so by the time I actually shift after hearing the tone it's closer to 6K rPM .
I hear you man...... Like I said, couldn't get the dealer to do it since my start button completely eliminates my factory keys. It would be nice to have the red, white, and blue theme..... One thing I do get though is the ability to have the color ring around the clusters. Makes me feel a LITTLE better... If I use the right color combination the "SVT" light stays lit so that part is good too.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
shouldn't you be able now to use your tuner and adjust the tire revs per mile to "adjust" the speedometer reading? Compare it to your gps until it is right?
Originally Posted by discodave
I will try to do that and see what happens.
That will totally screw up your odometer ... and possibly the transmission shifting if it's an automatic ...
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
That will totally screw up your odometer ... and possibly the transmission shifting if it's an automatic ...
Ok, won't do it then. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Didn't really think about the ODO, but to me the speedo is referenced more than the ODO, and the ODO would theoretically be incrementing only 3 miles for every 4 miles driven. The shift points could be more of an issue if they are speed based rather than engine RPM based. I guess a quick call to your tuner would answer that question.
Just thinking outside the box as far as workarounds go.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Cool thread. Congrats on getting it all figured out.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Didn't really think about the ODO, but to me the speedo is referenced more than the ODO, and the ODO would theoretically be incrementing only 3 miles for every 4 miles driven. The shift points could be more of an issue if they are speed based rather than engine RPM based. I guess a quick call to your tuner would answer that question.
Just thinking outside the box as far as workarounds go.
No worries man! I appreciate the help. If I knew how to do it without screwing anything up I'd definitely do it for sure.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
rm2092
1st Gear Member

Not sure how old this post is but I just did the same thing. I bought a damaged 2010 GT500 cluster and just swapped the overlays with my 2012 GT. One thing I did was keep the center 4 pack gauges the same so they would read correct to my year and model of the car. As far as lining up the tech and speedo I just reinstalled the cluster with out the needles and the clear plastic cover. I let the car idle for a few minutes to its norm idle and then just slightly pressed the rpm needle on and pressed the speedo needle to zero. removed the gauges and pressed the needles all the way in and reassembled every thing back and I was done. Also I did use a speedo app on my iPhone to check my speed and it was right on the spot to my old gauges.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rm2092
Not sure how old this post is but I just did the same thing. I bought a damaged 2010 GT500 cluster and just swapped the overlays with my 2012 GT. One thing I did was keep the center 4 pack gauges the same so they would read correct to my year and model of the car. As far as lining up the tech and speedo I just reinstalled the cluster with out the needles and the clear plastic cover. I let the car idle for a few minutes to its norm idle and then just slightly pressed the rpm needle on and pressed the speedo needle to zero. removed the gauges and pressed the needles all the way in and reassembled every thing back and I was done. Also I did use a speedo app on my iPhone to check my speed and it was right on the spot to my old gauges.
The last post in this thread (until yours) was almost two years ago...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
rm2092
1st Gear Member

Wow did not know it was that old, not to many threads out there with this mod.