Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question

Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
PoorBoyz

Default Oil question

Hello all. Was hoping someone would give me a good recommendation on oil for the stang. I am about to do my first oil change and was thinking of using Castrol Edge 5w20 with 1 qt. of Lucas Synthetic additive. Never used Edge before, but have been using Castrol for 16 years along with Lucas additive for at least 6 years. Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I only use Royal Purple in mine, friends and customer cars, AmsOil is great too.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
PoorBoyz

Is Full Synthetic recommended right off or a Syntec Blend?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

IMHO, any synthetic is fine, especially if you don't do extended OCI, just don't use any additives like LUCAS...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

And no, synthetics are NOT required!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
PoorBoyz

Well, the 11 GT OCI is 10,000 mi. I personally am not comfortable with this and will most likely be changing it every 5k at the most with a little bit of a buffer for being lazy. I am also a firm believer that Synthetic is better than conventional so I will use Synthetic.

If I may ask, why do you not recommend Lucas Synthetic? It is 100% Synthetic.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I used amsoil in mine, 5w-20. You could also drop down to 0w-20 or 30 for some more nice oil properties like faster warm-up, more fuel efficient, etc.

I'd suggest either a synth blend or full synth and there's no real need for additives. Also the 10,000 OCI is perfectly fine unless you beat out those 10,000 miles. This is really true on full synthetic oils, between the fact that new synthetics keep detergent properties for a long time and the fact that there are now 8 quarts worth of those detergents and various agents, that 5k changes are sorta just wasted cash.

Of course I do understand if it won't let you sleep at night to do that, then it's worth spending the extra money. But honestly in today's day and age, 5k intervals are plain unnecessary.

I also have Pennzoil Ultra running in another of my cars and the engine almost feels smoother to me since I changed oils. I'll likely try Pennzoil Ultra in the stang next time I change out, probably sometime early next December.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Personally I am a fan of AMSOil 0W-20 or 0W-30
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

I personally work at an oil change place, so I am naturally biased towards Valvoline oils as that is all we carry. It isn't exactly uncommon for people to want us to add Lucas to their cars either.

As for the interval, I would not even consider 10k miles. We actually talked about this today at work, and my buddy said that the interval like many other numbers on cars are under perfect theoretical conditions. Most drivers tend to go through shorter milage stop-and-go trips, which heavily increases on the wear and tear of your vehicle. I would say that 5k is about the max I would go realistically. But I do mine with full synthetic at just under 3k miles ( granted I also get to do it free as long as my manager isn't in the shop. ;p)

But I do agree that the oil change interval is expanding higher and higher. I believe that all 2011+ GM vehicles actually REQUIRE at least a semi-synthetic oil now or your warranty gets voided. This higher quality oil means you can run it for longer than just the standard conventional. We also talked today about how a BMW came in for it's first oil change at 20k miles which is plausible since they take 8 quarts and require full synthetic.

TL;DR version:
I personally wouldn't go 10k miles, but 3-5k is easily acceptable.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Pennzoil Ultra 5W20

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil question