Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with caliper paint!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default help with caliper paint!

My rims are coming sometime tomorrow, and I have the day off so I was looking to do a few things to the stang. I wanted to paint my calipers blue like car so it adds contrast behind the black wheel. I was wondering what is the best way to do this? Take the caliper off and spray it? or just do it with a brush like I have seen others do on youtube? also should I paint the caliper bracket also or just the caliper itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Hi, If I had the time I would take the calibers off and clean/sand/primer/paint/clear coat and since I have the calibers off and knowing I have to bleed the brakes I would also upgrade my brake lines...even though I don't need to!!....I could be over-zealous at times! Sounds like a good project....I need to do the same.

http://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDe...d_R693380_7440
Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Idk, one of my friends took his off and painted them, when he was putting them back on the paint kept getting eaten way by the brake fluid. He could have easily been doing it wrong though.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I used the red Duplicolor spray can from Pepboys.

First I thoroughly cleaned the caliper using a sponge and some soap and water (Brake cleaner would probably been a good idea too but I didn't have any at the time). Then I sanded the calipers down so the paint had something to adhere to. Next I cleaned them again to make sure I got all the dust/dirt off. Then I sprayed the paint into a cup and used one of those sponge brush things to apply 4 coats. They look great and I get tons of compliments. It's a cheap, easy mod but it's time consuming. I do want to repaint mine because they get dirty and even though I clean them when I wash the car, I have a few chips from winter
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

I sprayed mine on the car, unbolted them, removed rotor (good time to clean rotors up too and paint if you want), cleaned them up, bolted back on, masked off the area and lines (I did take the outside pad out so it didn't get painted), sprayed them with engine paint and cleared them. They dry really fast. Be careful handling them afterwards, but can be all done in a couple hours.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
britt12640
2nd Gear Member

grabberorange1 do you have any pics? and grabber blue gt did you do yours yesterday?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabberorange1
I sprayed mine on the car, unbolted them, removed rotor (good time to clean rotors up too and paint if you want), cleaned them up, bolted back on, masked off the area and lines (I did take the outside pad out so it didn't get painted), sprayed them with engine paint and cleared them. They dry really fast. Be careful handling them afterwards, but can be all done in a couple hours.
for the love of god don't paint the rotors
Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Oh I forgot, make sure that no paint gets on the rotors. I used playing cards to protect them in case any paint ran or dripped. If you have a steady hand it shouldn't be a problem
Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks guys, it seems that the easiest way is to just use one of those foam brushes like I saw on the youtube videos. I did not get to it today, cause I went to 2 different auto part stores and neither had the duplicolor engine enamels. I did get my rims today though so thats a plus. I will create a thread about that.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

I painted mine using the duplicolor kit (brush) and some extra brake cleaner. Don't make it more of a big deal than it is. Just turn the wheel so you can clean the calipers EXTREMELY well, i mean like spotless. The point of this is so that there is no grease as the paint wont stick to it. (I tried just to see, it literally just slides off). Use a hard bristle toothbrush and scrub it all down. I probably spent an hour or so each on each caliper. After that just paint, just dont get it on the hoses or pads (cover with masking tape). Had mine done for 4 months, still holding up.

Quick Reply: help with caliper paint!