Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint flaw, would you guys get this fixed? Opinions welcome - 2011 GT

Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I feel your pain, I too notice every little flaw. When I bought my 08' (used) I took it to a local body shop and had every single little thing fixed. It's the details that make you go crazy. Take it to the dealer, make them get it repaired, no doubt about it. Re-aligning the trunk will not be that hard if they have to take it off, which they probably don't.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

It's on the edge of the trunk lid and exposed to humidity and condensation....it's gonna rust. It's worth fixing.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
It's on the edge of the trunk lid and exposed to humidity and condensation....it's gonna rust. It's worth fixing.
Is this an easy repair for the dealership (body shop)? I can see it now, I take it in and my bolts that hold on my trunk lid are stripped, I have a couple extra dings surround the trunk area, but the area is painted and fixed.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

It's really not a big deal. If it was my car I would hit the spot with 1000 grit sand paper just to smooth the edges and hit/cover it with the Ford color touch-up paint. A blemish like that doesn't bother me especially where I can't see it. I attached a touch-up paint example. Go to a auto paint supply store and they will have everything you need....for well under $20 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...f#ht_582wt_939

or

Drop car off at the dealer....they should cover that to avoid rust.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Take it from a person who wants their car to be perfect as possible if it bothers you and you know youreye will always go there when you wash it or open the trunk for anything and you spot bring to the dealer for warenty work and be done with it. I had issues with my 07 gt and they pretty much repainted the whole car beacuse I found cracks in the paint on various panels of the car so needless to say I had them take care of it under warenty.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

get it fixed.

A week after I got my shelby i noticed a small "bubble" too on the ridge of the hood. It was only noticeable if you looked directly at it while sitting in the drivers seat.

I took it to my dealer. They actually were able to fix it without repainting the entire hood. They sanded it down and then touched it up with paint. I cant notice it anymore.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If I were you, I would take it to the dealership and have them fix it under the rust and rust protection coverage, which your car is still under.

I doubt that they will have to remove the trunk lid; I think they can simply work on it stil installed.
What they will have to do is sand down that bubble, repaint, and reprime. Moreover, by going to the dealership, they will color match it perfectly.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 05 gt used and it has a lot of those bubbles under the hood.

If I were you I would take it right back to the dealer to get fixed.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

I would definitely fix it, whether you do it yourself or let the dealership do it is up to you. If you feel confident in touching up paint do it yourself, it isn't hard and you can be certain it will be done right without someone else messing something else up. If not, take it to the dealer.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLVSTNG09
I hate having a good eye haha. I notice every little flaw my car has, and it really weighs on me. Not a good attribute haha. .
I hear ya. When I got my GT home it was the most perfect car I'd ever seen. Then you notice little things and it's not so perfect and it bugs ya.

I have two imperfections. It looks like the inside door handles aren't set right into the door panel, and the rear bumper seems to have a too large gap where it meets the body.

I'd have been happy not to have noticed either.

But I still love the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint flaw, would you guys get this fixed? Opinions welcome - 2011 GT