Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI+tune Q...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default CAI+tune Q...

Is it really worth buying a combo from American Muscle or are most 87 octane canned tunes the same? I'm planning on getting a dyno tune eventually anyhow so I'm just curious if I should order from AM or straight from JLT. JLT does paint to match on the CAI but AM offers tunes for life which is a big plus so i'm torn...Does anyone know if AM offers paint to match with their CAI's? I just think they look much nicer.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The tune is more important the color of the paint IMO. Your tune from AM or brenspeed is gonna be way better than any canned tune. Dont buy a canned tune.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The tune is more important the color of the paint IMO. Your tune from AM or brenspeed is gonna be way better than any canned tune. Dont buy a canned tune.
You're right! The tune's much more important. Quick Q, does the CAI come pre-assembled or in parts? Worst case I could just have it painted before the install. AM's got the JLT on sale right now so I'm going to pull the trigger soon if i'm going through them.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

and to stack onto the questions, with the free tunes for life...do you have to order a part to get a tune? or could you just have them write you a new tune every couple of weeks if you felt like it?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
You're right! The tune's much more important. Quick Q, does the CAI come pre-assembled or in parts? Worst case I could just have it painted before the install. AM's got the JLT on sale right now so I'm going to pull the trigger soon if i'm going through them.
When I got my CAI it was the tube was separate from the other parts so you could paint it if you want. The filter won't come connected to it so you can just get some color matched paint and have at it.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You don't list your mods so it's hard to say if you'll benefit significantly from a dyno tune as opposed to a CUSTOM tune (canned tunes are lame like the FRPP tune and gain about 1/2 that of a custom tune). In some cases the custom tune is within a few RWHP of a dyno tune
Old 03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
It comes in parts. You put it together. I had a JLT, took it off when I installed the m90. Tube comes gloss black...it looks really good.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You don't list your mods so it's hard to say if you'll benefit significantly from a dyno tune as opposed to a CUSTOM tune (canned tunes are lame like the FRPP tune and gain about 1/2 that of a custom tune). In some cases the custom tune is within a few RWHP of a dyno tune
I have a completely stock setup outside of Pype bombs but I won't be looking to get a dyno tune until I get into forced induction and more modding later on. I've got student loans to worry about before anything else haha

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
When I got my CAI it was the tube was separate from the other parts so you could paint it if you want. The filter won't come connected to it so you can just get some color matched paint and have at it.
Originally Posted by 808muscle
It comes in parts. You put it together. I had a JLT, took it off when I installed the m90. Tube comes gloss black...it looks really good.
Awesome, I guess I'll just have to see it before I install it and make my decision then. I really want to start dressing up under the hood so I figure what better way than to improve performance