Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resell Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Resell Value

What all can I do to increase my resell value? I plan on selling my v6 auto and getting a GT manual within a year or so.

I've been adding my own options - perks - like my LED lighting and the radio - soon I'll be adding a license plate flipper, and a switch to cut power to all lights in the car - in case you just don't want to be seen for whatever reason. I will be tinting the windows and smoking the lights and reflectors soon. I have installed sequential tail lights. I do have heated, genuine leather seats with power control on the drivers side.

Any suggestions to help me increase my resell value?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't know about resell value, but I can tell you that I would never buy a car that looked like someone had been playing around with the electronics. Just gotta be honest with ya.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
I don't know about resell value, but I can tell you that I would never buy a car that looked like someone had been playing around with the electronics. Just gotta be honest with ya.
Well, the only thing those switches would do is connect and disconnect a relay. Nothing advanced.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
WV2000GT
1st Gear Member

I agree, and honestly if you want the best chance to sell it. Leave it stock. I doubt anyone is going to buy their highschooler a mustang V6 with cut out lights and a plate flipper. That really narrows the resell market. Just speaking from a sales background pov.

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Well, the only thing those switches would do is connect and disconnect a relay. Nothing advanced.
That isn't the point though. The point is that any car that looks like someone has been fiddling with it will turn a buyer off. If the previous owner had no reservations about messing with the wiring in the car, who knows what else he did to it.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately you will not get any more for modded parts. Best thing would be to sell those parts separately and leave the car stock.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
WV2000GT
1st Gear Member

^^ Yep
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

The only thing that really increases resale are leather seats, nice touch screen stereos (maybe) and major performance upgrades. No one is should pay you more for appearance things. They will only increase a buyers interest.

And don't screw around with the electric system if you want to sell it. I wouldn't touch a car with those kind of mods with a ten foot pole. Im not trying to be rude, just honest. That will hurt your resale.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Originally Posted by Tanner05
The only thing that really increases resale are leather seats, nice touch screen stereos (maybe) and major performance upgrades. No one is should pay you more for appearance things. They will only increase a buyers interest.

And don't screw around with the electric system if you want to sell it. I wouldn't touch a car with those kind of mods with a ten foot pole. Im not trying to be rude, just honest. That will hurt your resale.
Tanner I would even go so far to say that even those upgrades aren't guarantees and usually don't do much.

Any time you change your vehicle to something you like doesn't mean everyone else agrees. Even performance upgrades will cut your market of potential buyers, sometimes even in half or more.

90% of the time your not gonna net the X amount you spend on an upgrade with a sale of the vehicle. Atleast from my experience.

Jackin around with the electrical though is a cardinal sin in my book. Especially with things like plate flippers...etc.

Then again, it all depends on the buyers. Maybe you'll find the guy who's hobby is knocking over 7-11s.

I wrapped my 1970 Cutlass around a telephone pole and despite all the urging to just part it out, I spent the insane amount of money for a new door (same as the 442 $$$) and straightened the frame. Thinking I'll never make a buck on this car after all that, I caught interest of a local gear head who's start up company image was a yellow 1970 cutlass >shrugs<, he paid almost triple what I was asking to sell on the spot... needless to say he got the keys to a car and I got a ride home.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Tanner05, I don't think even performance parts will get you more. Most people tend to stray away from cars that have performance mods thinking that the car has been driven hard.
Usually only folks who have an interest in that kind of mod would understand and give you what you are asking.

Quick Reply: Resell Value