Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The hi flo cat debate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default The hi flo cat debate???

I have seen this numerous times about what should be done about the cats and the alternatives that people have been trying to come up with. Today I got on Brenspeeds website. I had them install my ceramic cat before I was supercharged b/c at the time i didnt think I was going to get a supercharger. Well here I am with a saleen and those dreadfull cats.

So anyway I found the two different types of cats. One being ceramic which I believe to be the most common as its a cheaper cat. This is also not made for supercharger applications

The metallic cat is made for supercharger or turbo applications. The brand that brenspeed sells are the pypes. Its a bit more expensive but they are probably the answer to those with FI.

Some of the threads I have read about clogged cats Im assuming are from the ceramic cats and not metallic. Not sure if that was clarified in those particular threads but I believe this to be the common threat of clogged cats (ceramic)

Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

So when are you taking yours out? I bought mine from brenspeed too. They are gone and for sale.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
WV2000GT
1st Gear Member

The easiest solution is to delete them....then you won't have to worry about what clogs...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
So when are you taking yours out? I bought mine from brenspeed too. They are gone and for sale.
changing mine to the metallics tomorrow along with installing A/F gauge. I should be about done with the build. just need some DR's for the track and im set
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WV2000GT
The easiest solution is to delete them....then you won't have to worry about what clogs...

Thats a solution but I think people I have just been ordering the cheapest cat and putting them on there cars with FI when in fact it does make a difference which ones u have on there for FI
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Glad to hear your getting rid of them. Jim at JDM told me I had about 6 months before they would melt. I waited a couple of weeks. LOL

I cant imagine running my car without ET streets. Those tires hook so good. Running on street tires seems it would be dangerous with all the power we have. I am already spinning all over the road before I even hit full throttle.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Glad to hear your getting rid of them. Jim at JDM told me I had about 6 months before they would melt. I waited a couple of weeks. LOL

I cant imagine running my car without ET streets. Those tires hook so good. Running on street tires seems it would be dangerous with all the power we have. I am already spinning all over the road before I even hit full throttle.
Yea im ordering the silver bullit package from brenspeed for I believe 649 plus 14.99 shipping. Comes with 17inch rims and ET streets.

I have never been to the track just on my regular street tires. Nor would I ever. My car is a beast when I want it to be but is for sure a good DD. I remember asking questions on this forum about my gear ratio and a twin screw supercharger. Couple of guys were telling me I wouldnt be able to handle the power and the car would be a terrible DD. Well that is certainly not the case. i love what I have done to it. I need to get all my receipts and add everything up and see how much money I have stuffed into this car.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone know if the kooks package from AM with the catted x pipe has ceramic or metallic cats?

Link:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-...509manual.html

Sorry to thread jack, I didn't think this was something worth a new thread.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
Does anyone know if the kooks package from AM with the catted x pipe has ceramic or metallic cats?

Link:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-...509manual.html

Sorry to thread jack, I didn't think this was something worth a new thread.
Id suspect that they are ceramic but u should just email the with the part number of that package and ask. I take it your going FI if so I would definetly get an answer
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Id suspect that they are ceramic but u should just email the with the part number of that package and ask. I take it your going FI if so I would definetly get an answer

Eventually, right now I'm just slowly building up a few things before I drop the big money (exhaust, little suspension work, brakes). I just don't want to have to replace them in a year or so when I'll be putting a blower on and I'd like to keep the cats so I don't have a problem with emissions.

I'll send AM a message and if I don't get an answer there I'll see if I can contact kooks. I'll let everyone know when I get an answer.