Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick answer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM
raijian

Default Need a quick answer!

Hey guys.

I've got a two car garage, and I wanted to clean up the car for the summer. I backed out the van, backed out the car, put the car into the garage in a manner that I could walk around it and clean it easily.

I plugged my ipod into it for like 7 or 8 minutes, didn't have the key in the ignition or anything and because of the cold weather here and the car not being used recently the battery almost immediately died.

Now I have a dead car in my garage, and a van that I COULD boost it with if I can fit it in beside it, but the cables might not be long enough to reach since the batteries are on opposite sides of the hoods.

Now.. I had an idea.. could I throw the mustang into neutral without starting it and push it back (a two person job) while one person steers it into the street, and then we could re allign the cars so we could boost them with no problems from the booster cable length..

I tried shifting but even with the key in the first turn position it won't shift to neutral... is it stuck in park? That makes no sense, how are we supposed to tow it? Is it just stuck there forever?

What do I do... If there's a way to shift it to neutral please tell me.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by raijian
Hey guys.

I've got a two car garage, and I wanted to clean up the car for the summer. I backed out the van, backed out the car, put the car into the garage in a manner that I could walk around it and clean it easily.

I plugged my ipod into it for like 7 or 8 minutes, didn't have the key in the ignition or anything and because of the cold weather here and the car not being used recently the battery almost immediately died.

Now I have a dead car in my garage, and a van that I COULD boost it with if I can fit it in beside it, but the cables might not be long enough to reach since the batteries are on opposite sides of the hoods.

Now.. I had an idea.. could I throw the mustang into neutral without starting it and push it back (a two person job) while one person steers it into the street, and then we could re allign the cars so we could boost them with no problems from the booster cable length..

I tried shifting but even with the key in the first turn position it won't shift to neutral... is it stuck in park? That makes no sense, how are we supposed to tow it? Is it just stuck there forever?

What do I do... If there's a way to shift it to neutral please tell me.
It's called "shift-lock".

It is solenoid operated and requires power. There should be a manual way to disengage it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
raijian

Okay, we're getting somewhere. I need to find out where that shift lock is. I think I've heard of this before, don't you put your ignition key into that and it unlocks it?

This is sort of an emergency, I only have like the next 15 minutes to figure this out lol
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Try turning the key to the on position and stepping on the brake pedal. If that doesn't work, look in your owner's manual under "Brake-shift interlock."
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
raijian

Thanks, brb garage will try.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Check your owner's manual...

Last edited by jdmcbride; 03-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Here are a couple pics of the owner's manual:

http://flic.kr/p/9r6SSy
http://flic.kr/p/9r3UtZ

Last edited by edwin108; 03-17-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
raijian

YEAH! I see where the key goes, but there is a plastic part over it and I don't have finger nails hahahah I can't get at it!

Butter knife? I don't know haha
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
raijian

Okay, I gotta go get somebody to help but I'll get that uncovered and we'll push the car out and re allign the two.

Thanks so much guys, that was quick and easy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

when in doubt, read the manual

Quick Reply: Need a quick answer!