Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armor All Butter Smooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
wesbo
1st Gear Member

Default Armor All Butter Smooth

By now just about everyone has seen the Armor All Butter Smooth ads that have been popping up in the forums. Has anyone used this yet? I'm skeptical and would be interested in hearing other opinions.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Idk but their little stupid threads are annoying.
Lol I almost don't want to buy it just because of that.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I bought it, but haven't used it yet. Its a much different texture than regular wax though, its literally like butter. I hope to wash my car this weekend again and try it out.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I picked up a bottle of butter wax and some butter detailer, and got the butter wax for free after mail in rebate through autozone.

Just recently did a full detail on the mustang and honestly I think the stuff is great. I have to say, it's made wiping up messes on the finish after waxing extremely easy which is exactly what it should do, so thumbs up there. I haven't had an opportunity to test how well it beads water, but I plan on dropping some water on the hood tomorrow to see how that is.

As for application, it really is just like butter in terms of consistency. It spreads well and rubs in far more easily than the average wax product by far, however be warned that it's far from the miraculously easy activity that the video makes it out to be. However it also seems to rub in much better than my meguiars that I've compared it to, I had to use fewer buffing clothes to get the whole car waxed up and buffed out than before.

Honestly, right now I see myself using this as a replacement for the meguiars I used to use. Although we'll see based on that water resistance.

Oh also for those interested in the detailing spray they now offer, that stuff also works pretty well. Much thicker than most detailing sprays, which at least in my mind makes me feel like it's almost like a somewhat thinner reapplication of wax when you spray it.

Anyway that's my take. I would say at the very least, try it out.

Here are some shots of post butter wax

Last edited by pdonket; 03-22-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

I will have to give it a try. I usually use meguiars #7 show car polish. I have to say- at the least, it is a pain to hand rub off. Nice finished product, but very labor intense. Sounds like this new stuff may be worth trying. Thanks P ! By the way great pics and awesome color.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I tried it yesterday but I still had a fresh coat of 3M Performance Finish on the car. It just like Pdonket says. The only thing I'll add is it seems to work best if you do a really small section like maybe a 12" X 12' section and immediately wipe it off. I found that if I did a larger section and the product semi dried, it left marks that were harder to wipe off. It rubs in real easy and wipes off very easy if you wipe it off right away. Overall, I like it so far. The finish on the car is super smooth. After doing my car once, it looks like there is enough in the bottle to do the car 10-15 more times. The bottle is 16 ounces and I might have used about an ounce or 1.5 ounces. I paid $10 at Autozone and going to send in the $5 rebate.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

interesting...i'll give it a go
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea those ads are annoying..and armor all = crap..get something ALOT better off the shelf. Like Meguiars Gold Class, Mothers Synwax or Carnuba paste, Colinite 845..All these can be had for under 13bucks and are much better then anything armor all puts out.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I got it after I watched the video, $6 at Walmart I believe. I only used it on the hood, and yes it is very smooth! Haven't got around to using it on the whole car yet.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
I tried it yesterday but I still had a fresh coat of 3M Performance Finish on the car. It just like Pdonket says. The only thing I'll add is it seems to work best if you do a really small section like maybe a 12" X 12' section and immediately wipe it off. I found that if I did a larger section and the product semi dried, it left marks that were harder to wipe off. It rubs in real easy and wipes off very easy if you wipe it off right away. Overall, I like it so far. The finish on the car is super smooth. After doing my car once, it looks like there is enough in the bottle to do the car 10-15 more times. The bottle is 16 ounces and I might have used about an ounce or 1.5 ounces. I paid $10 at Autozone and going to send in the $5 rebate.
Great point about the using it on small sections being best. The reason I did mention that it wasn't as easy to remove as they make it out to be, was for the very reason that I did large portions of the car at a time. Even then though, I still found it easier to buff out than traditional wax. Definitely on those smaller sections, much much easier to wipe up. Takes 0 effort.

Quick Reply: Armor All Butter Smooth