Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autogeek.net help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Autogeek.net help

This is to all the detailers out there. Now that it is warming up here I am finally placing my order with autogeek.net, but I have a few questions first. I am ordering the portercable 7424xp with wolf gang swil removing combo ( http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...ble-combo.html ). I also want to order other pads for the portercable to wax the car, and also apply glazes and stuff. Any suggestions on those? Also I would like to order a drying towel to dry my car but I want one that works great and will last more than 3 washs, is this one good ( http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-guzzler-hd-towel.html )?

Also any suggestions on other products I should order would be great. I hope to get my collection of detailing supplies like 05xrunner's lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
bterry29
1st Gear Member

I just bought the same package from autogeek. I understood that the gray finishing pad would work for applying wax, glaze, and polish. Are you wanting to have extra pads or do you not think the gray will do what you want? This is my first polisher so I want to make sure I'm using the correct pad.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I use the gray pad for my Poor boys black hole glaze..and will use the red pad to apply waxes.
I also have that Drying towel..its ok..holds alot of water but since the sponge is so thick in it its kinda a little difficult to get into tight areas..I use that to get all the heavy stuff off then i go back over with this
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html

also give them a call and see if they will replace the 6.5" pads with 5.5" pads..You will get better results with the smaller pad on the PC.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 03-22-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

bterry29 -- This is my first polisher too, but I just figured its better to have an extra pad or 2. Also when I am done doing the swirl removal process I want to put a coat of wax on, and I cant use the same pad I put the wolfgang glaze on with so I just figured a few extra pads wont hurt.

05xrunner -- Thanks, I am going to order both towels. Also if they cant switch the 6.5 to a 5.5 when I order the extra pads should I just keep an eye on 5.5's?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yes stick with 5.5" pads..I wont use anything bigger then that on my PC..as 6.5" pads start to bog it down
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
DanPonjican

If you haven't ordered it yet I would seriously consider getting the new Meguiars Microfiber correction system. It is FAR superior to the Wolfgang system. Much simpler and has twice the capabilities of Wolfgang.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

OP:

Blue LC flats for applying sealant/liquid waxes. Could also do the Crimson Hydrotech pads if you want. Supposedly they don't absorb as much product into the foam, so you don't use as much product. Personally I can't tell the difference. Far as sealants and such I'd look into some Collinite 845. Cheap and crazy durable. I put it on my DD Tacoma back in November, still beads water like a fresh coat.

I wouldn't buy that particular towel if I were you. I bought a couple of them way back , wasn't impressed. Left crazy streaks on black. This one http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html is what I use and I love it. Worth every penny IMO. It's BOGO right now too.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea the MF buffing system is pretty nice.i love that it pretty much is 99% dust free..it finishes down very very well. it has a bit of a learning curve.
I did my mustang last week with the finishing wax and finishing pad just to jewel up the paint more. Since I have the original PC and a little less juice then the new XP I used it on speed 4 instead of speed 3.5. I did the car then pulled it in the sun and saw it left micromarring all over the paint..I found that you need to give a little more pressure not just light pressure like on some paints. it reacts differently to every finish..I just did my buddies new 2010 Camaro with teh Compound and cutting pad and it finished down perfect and needed no extra buffing.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Dan -- I am just ordering it now, and the reason I am going with the wolfgang system is because Autogeek has a video with Mike and show him removing swirls from a black lexus step by step with this package. I also have a ton of swirl x and ultimate compound that I will be trying with the extra lake country pads I am ordering.

Reverse -- thanks I am actually going with those towels since its buy one get one free.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

checkout the junkman2000 vids on youtube, you can learn a lot from his techniques. he is an adams man, but the same will work for pretty much anything. FWIW i have the adams paint correction kit and it comes with everythign you need. great products, but any of that stuff will fix you up. i have a wooly mamoth drying towel from chemical guys that i LOVE for drying the car, no streakes and suck up much more water than the other towels ihave used. i blow off the big water with one of their little $60 air blowers first though.

Quick Reply: Autogeek.net help