Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would a 2011/12 Mustang fair in midwest winters (as in snow and ice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
omelet1978

Default How would a 2011/12 Mustang fair in midwest winters (as in snow and ice)

Hi,

I might be moving to Kansas City, MO and I know the weather is a little bad there. I'm going to have a long commute from KC to Whiteman AFB every day (approximately 45 miles each way), and the car I'm looking at is a used 2011 V6.

I was just wondering how a RWD Mustang with stability control would fair. I've had an AWD 4Runner and a FWD Fusion that I drove in the snow in Omaha, NE before. The 4runner handled like a dream and the FWD Fusion was good enough.

I don't particularly care to drop $500 or $600 on snow tires either.

Oh and yes I know to be careful, not drive crazy, and that there are tons of 4x4 vehicles on the side of the road bc it makes drivers overconfident...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Advancetrac works well, you'll be fine as long as you know how to drive. A manual trans helps control the torque. I have the 5.0 as a daily driver in Michigan. 50 miles a day.

Advancetrac/traction control can cause wheel hop at low temps though. Kind of annoying, but better off then without it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I'm not completely familiar with MO winter weather, but at least if it's similar to Illinois winters, I certainly wouldn't suggest making the trip to work in the mustang particularly without winter tires.

I've had to make a couple 3 mile city drives in my 2011 in the snow on the stock perellis....it honestly would've been scary to most people to be behind the wheel feeling what I did. A few of the turns I turned the wheel and proceeded to move in a straight line, getting the car to actually move took work, etc. You won't want to ride around on all seasons in a mustang in the severe winter weather. I should specify that in these situations, there was about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground, unplowed. Out here, they seem to believe nobody needs to leave their location until after the snow stops, which seems completely stupid to me.

Now, I'm assuming at a 45 mile trip, you'll be on pretty main roads which would be plowed reasonably well, and in that case it shouldn't be too big of a deal. But honestly if you have options other than the mustang, if it snows, take another option. I'd say the best mid ground to choose would be to get the mustang, but just invest in the winter tires. You'll likely really appreciate them.

Last edited by pdonket; 03-23-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have 410's and a saleen supercharger. I can drive in the winter but id be a bit worried if the roads were completely covered in snow. The traction control system works great. u cant do a donut in the snow if you try in the parking lot. U get that buy a 4k beater.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
JimC

My 2006 does fine in our winter conditions. Just yesterday I had to drive home in a blizzard and left for work with 6" on the ground (yes, it is the second day of spring here in Michigan!).

My commute is 45 miles, one way. I drive my car every day so it has seen lots of snow and ice over the years. No problems at all on the Pirelli Pzeros
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Ive got an 08 (not as many safety features as the 11) but same principles of physics apply lol. Don't risk losing your shiny new car on a guard rail, or end up losing control cause of some other idiot on the road. I had stock pirellis for the bulk of the winter and can say IT SUCKED. They slip from a stop, they cause the car to fishtail up hills and around corners (scary sometimes). And in unplowed snow- forget about driving over 35-40. Sure the new advancetrak and other stuff are a god send, but still its not an end all solution.

Sure I could have made do with the priellis, but I don't care for all the ignorant/ lazy/ plain dumb drivers here in Indy. The idiots who dont know how to drive in snow will be a greater threat than your RWD!

I got firestone winterforce tires for the last month of winter, and the grip/safety is night and day. I feel much more safe in those early snowy morning on the highway. Otherwise, in less than ideal conditions it gonna be a little white knuckle.

But in spite of the winter annoyances, I would NOT trade my stang for anything... (except maybe another mustang )

Last edited by aaquib1992; 03-23-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I loved driving my 06 GT in the winter! It was fun! Just don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. And remember, it is a Mustang!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

I know you are looking for feedback from the current gen. crowd specifically, but I figure I will chime in.

I live at a midpoint between Cleveland and Akron in Ohio. This means I get about the furthest south reach of the whole "lake effect" rain/snow from storms coming across Lake Erie and gaining more water as fuel. This also means that we get a good increase of a few more inches of snow from a storm that you would get west of here. And while I do get an impact from the lake effect, it still is nothing compared to how it feels when you are actually in Cleveland getting pounded by it.

And now that my little background story is behind me, I can say that my first winter was a bit shaky (I also learned not to put cinder blocks in the back), but still comparable to my former Grand Prix I owned. The second winter was about the same, except toward the end I got new all-season tires. I had the same ones on all year, so when this winter came around, it was a breeze. Sure I had to slow down when the conditions were bad, but so does everyone else. I didn't have any sliding issues or anything this winter, which makes it quite easy to drive in.

I've also driven a Focus (FWD), Equinox (AWD), and a Mazda 3 (FWD) this winter, but I would still choose my Mustang over any of them even in snow. I'm not sure if it is because I can feel everything in my car and not so much the others, or because my tires are really just that good.

Finally, the last thing I just remembered to point out, it is illegal here in Ohio to use chains or studded tires on the roads here too. Not sure what it is like in other states though.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I pretty much live where he lives^ haha
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have over 35 years of northern winter driving under my belt with numerous vehicles. The power and torque combined with lack of weight to help good tires bite makes the Stang the worst vehicle I ever drove in ice and snow. Yeah, you can "manage". But that doesn't include the other azzholes out there and, take my word, it seems like they're the majority when the weather gets bad. If you MUST, then I strongly suggest dedicated winter tires on a set of take-off wheels and about 150 lbs in the trunk.

I've been driving 4Runners since '90 as my primary DD so I can tell you now you'll be white-knuckled with the Stang.

Quick Reply: How would a 2011/12 Mustang fair in midwest winters (as in snow and ice)