Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang California Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:56 AM
JigGaxBAM

Default Mustang California Edition

What's so special about the new California Edition Mustang, the specs for it don't show up on Ford's website. Or maybe i just didnt look hard enough.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 AM
M
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang California Edition

where are you seeing this california edition??? not from ford are you...perhaps an aftermarket package
Old 01-01-2006, 08:09 AM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

This is an "official" version of the Mustang, I saw actual Ford-made commercials on TV for it and everything.

From what I remember..

Serialized 400 unit production
(means they have "XXX of 400" badges on the dash)

They are all 2006 V6 Pony package
Automatic transmission
Racing stripes (2 wide stripes)
Chrome-tipped exhaust
Special "California Edition" gas cap badge on the back (replaces the pony gas cap emblem)

I don't remember anything else special about them. Any other details (body/interior color, stereo, IUP, seat upholstery, etc) are all variable.

I saw five CE's at the dealer by me recently. They did look kinda cool, but really nothing you can't aftermarket and get similar results. In the 15 minutes I was there, no less than three sales guys tried to pawn one off on me, despite me telling them I already had a 2005. They tried to get me to trade it in -.-; I might have been slightly interested if any of the ones they had were loaded, but they either had cloth interior or were not a color I liked. If they had a blue one with black leather, it might have gotten my attention.

One selling point was that they weren't priced badly at all. For the cost, you basically get all the CE stuff for free. The cost difference between a CE and a standard Pony V6 was nothing.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:18 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

the cal edition is gay looking.. nothing special at all. limited adition?? other then a baging you can get your 05 to look the same for 500 bucks.. hahaha waste of money imo
Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
stangpro

This is both right and wrong. The v6 sales have been so bad that Ford has released many localized variants. These are from marketing and are all wheels/graphics/ and all pointless.

The real California Special edition is a 2008, and I can't say anything else about it until Ford gives the ok.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

The real California Special edition is a 2008, and I can't say anything else about it until Ford gives the ok.
I never understand these types of statements, here is a tid-bit but I can't say anything more, why bother to make the statement then? Nothing to back it up makes it pointless.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 AM
DayOfGray

Originally Posted by S.SubZero
This is an "official" version of the Mustang, I saw actual Ford-made commercials on TV for it and everything.

From what I remember..

Serialized 400 unit production
(means they have "XXX of 400" badges on the dash)

They are all 2006 V6 Pony package
Automatic transmission
Racing stripes (2 wide stripes)
Chrome-tipped exhaust
Special "California Edition" gas cap badge on the back (replaces the pony gas cap emblem)

I don't remember anything else special about them. Any other details (body/interior color, stereo, IUP, seat upholstery, etc) are all variable.

I saw five CE's at the dealer by me recently. They did look kinda cool, but really nothing you can't aftermarket and get similar results. In the 15 minutes I was there, no less than three sales guys tried to pawn one off on me, despite me telling them I already had a 2005. They tried to get me to trade it in -.-; I might have been slightly interested if any of the ones they had were loaded, but they either had cloth interior or were not a color I liked. If they had a blue one with black leather, it might have gotten my attention.

One selling point was that they weren't priced badly at all. For the cost, you basically get all the CE stuff for free. The cost difference between a CE and a standard Pony V6 was nothing.
I know this is an old thread but if you google 'mustang "california edition" 2006' this thread is among the results, so I'd like to add to the above answer to the question of what is the "California Edition". I contacted Ford and after some communication on the subject this is what they said (I copied and pasted their reply in it's entirety)

Hello Rick,

This is Mike again, a Supervisor from the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I would first like to apologize for a rather late response. Here is what I got regarding the Ford Mustang California Edition:

The California Edition V6 was a California dealer package added to a V6 Pony Package, Premium Package, interior upgrade package and side stripe delete. There were only going to be 400 made (though we do not know how many were actually built). Dealerships would add the California Edition faux gas cap badge, serial plate on dash, racing stripes and chrome exhaust tip. The exhaust tip and racing stripes are the Ford Accessory stripes that were available for installation on any Mustang.

Lastly, these vehicles were only sold in California.

I hope this clears the air on our previous miscommunication. Again, thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Mike
Supervisor
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

So hopefully that fully clears up the question of what these are.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

5 years later lol