Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you rather have?
2012 Boss 302
28.21%
2012 GT500
71.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Boss or 2012 GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default 2012 Boss or 2012 GT500?

I have been thinking about trading in my car lately and have talked about it in another thread. i really, really like the Boss 302. I like the looks and the performance. there are some downsides to the Boss 302 though, it's basically a deluxe GT with a better factory suspension and more power. sure it has tons of heritage and will keep its value very well, but in the realm of things the car lacks a lot of the stuff most of us expect on a car in the price range. It's doesn't have sync, power seats or any of that stuff. it's sort off a purist stang i guess.

on the other had we have the GT500. the are great looking, better looking than the Boss IMHO. Have a lot more power potential, but cost a lot more than the Boss. they are also heavier and wont handle as well, just look at MTs numbers to see the beat down the Boss gave the GT500 at Laguna Seca. I like a more basic GT500 personally, no SVT pack and electronics that i wont use and add more weight to the car. A basic 2012 GT500 starts at $48k and the Boss with Recaros is in the $43k range so the prices aren't that much off MSRP for MSRP.

so what would you rather have, the Boss 302 or the GT500?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 AM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

GT500, no contest. That's just me. I don't open track, autoX, or anything like that. I do however visit the strip.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

The GT500 is gorgeous, so is the Boss.
You probably aren't going to see that many of either of them. Both are going to have good resale value too.
I would get the GT500, I think. Ha if both of them were sitting on the lot it would be a complete toss up on which one I walked off with. Especially if the black Laguna Seca was sitting there.

Edit: Screw it the GT500 all day long. The Boss is stunning, but the GT500 is supercharged. It just has more potential than a Boss. You like to mod, so GT500.

Last edited by Tanner05; 03-27-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

BOSS or GT500: depends on what you are looking for handling or power.

The Boss is super cool but, I'm not into handling. I like the motor but with the 2 tunes/keys who knows how hard it will be to tune it. I think it will go very good with a centrifugal supercharger on it....I would never install a TS.....the Boss intake is to bad *** to remove!! If bought at the sticker price 40K I like it....add the 5K to 8K mark up and it's the GT500 all day for me!! I'm not a road course kind of guy and I like a few luxuries.

The GT500 would be my choice!!! I'm a straight line racer!! With or without the SVT pkg. It has the looks, luxury features and awesome performance. The motor is built great....it may not be as sophisticated as the 5.0 but, it will handle the power/boost....especially due to it's 8.4:1 CR. The only mod I would install is a 2.9 KB and it's deep 10s all day long....motor safe!!

If I got either car I would be extremely happy....who wouldn't!!!

PS I forgot the LS....that's a tough one!! Pure race car for the street???? I don't know.....only if it was priced right!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

My father randomly came up to me before and said, "hey, I was thinking of trading your car in and getting a boss 302". lol weird.... I personally would rather have the shelby though. Honestly with the boss you are basically paying for the name BOSS. It honestly reminds me of the cobra R back in 2000. Its a race car and thats it, even though it doesnt have loads of power. The kind of car you buy and store in a garage somewhere so its worth 10x more in 50 years
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I think in terms of what your looking for in a car the GT500 would be the more natural fit.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

GT500! More power and looks more menacing.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Not really a tough decision....get something for the price difference. GT500.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
BOSS or GT500: depends on what you are looking for handling or power.

The Boss is super cool but, I'm not into handling. I like the motor but with the 2 tunes/keys who knows how hard it will be to tune it. I think it will go very good with a centrifugal supercharger on it....I would never install a TS.....the Boss intake is to bad *** to remove!! If bought at the sticker price 40K I like it....add the 5K to 8K mark up and it's the GT500 all day for me!! I'm not a road course kind of guy and I like a few luxuries.

The GT500 would be my choice!!! I'm a straight line racer!! With or without the SVT pkg. It has the looks, luxury features and awesome performance. The motor is built great....it may not be as sophisticated as the 5.0 but, it will handle the power/boost....especially due to it's 8.4:1 CR. The only mod I would install is a 2.9 KB and it's deep 10s all day long....motor safe!!

If I got either car I would be extremely happy....who wouldn't!!!

PS I forgot the LS....that's a tough one!! Pure race car for the street???? I don't know.....only if it was priced right!
Well stated, They really are 2 different cars. One with more focus on the twisties & one on straight line acceleration. I prefer the 500 because I do more qtr mile than autocross. However, BOTH are awesome cars!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

The Boss is great and has a great heritage. But the GT500 has a greater lineage and following. Frankly, if you want a car that you're going to race the heck out of it and just go all out all the time, I'd go with the Boss. Talk of upgrade potential, etc...all well and good but it's more of a track car IMHO. The Boss to me is sorta like the old joke about the 10 dollar hooker on dollar day. Ride it hard and put it away wet.

But if you are like me and every little chip in the windshield or paint, dust or sand in the cabin, or even a weird smell bother you because you are so **** about car it freaks your friends and family out....GT500. That would be my choice. Power when I want it, solid nameplate and reputation, and looks stunning. Its the car that shows more class by far yet is still a thoroughbred.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss or 2012 GT500?