Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uca install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default uca install

The bolt/nut that attach the UCA to the mount.

How did you torque that to spec with it in the car? A socket won't fit over the bolt head or nut.

I can drop the mount a bit there which might free up some room to fit a socket. But is it acceptable to torque the UCA to the mount with the mount not fully secured to the chassis?

I realize they are using ratcheting wrenches in the pictures. I have a 18/21mm just like that but I can't seem to get enough torque on the nut to get it broke free let alone get it back on there again.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I removed mine from the car. I came to conclusion that it would take less time to remove the UCA and torque it on the work bench properly than try to come up with a way to "hope it was torqued" properly on the car. Last thing you need is a bolt that critical not being torqued properly.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Breaking that bolt/nut loose on the front of the UCA is retarded difficult. My ratcheting wrenches (18/21mm) aren't long enough to get the torque I need to break that loose in that confined area.

The two bolts at the front of the mount and the one under the seat are loose now and the tank is partially lowered. Now that the mount wants to come down a bit for me and also move from side to side I am going to try again to get a socket on there and a breaker.

If this won't work then that is one **** poor design to have a critical bolt/nut that is almost impossible to torque down or get apart without having both the mount and the UCA out of the car.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

yeah I agree, it wasn't the best design for trying to replace the UCA. Just remember, they installed them off the car so they probably never took that into consideration or in all honesty even cared. If memory serves correctly, I think it's installed to 135 ft/lbs. That's a lot of torque to try and apply with wrenches. If all else fails, just take it out of the care, you're 90% there anyhow at this point.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

We got the stock mount and arm out last night.

The UMI arm came out of the box out of adjustment and is not set for stock length. Set it down next to the stock arm and the new UMI piece is an easy 1/2" longer than stock. Would have been nice not to need to screw with it but now there isn't any choice in the matter.

I'm going to eye it and adjust the UMI arm as close as I can by sight to stock length. Then torque it down to the mount out of the car and put it all back in as one piece. If I get a vibration then I guess I'll be forced to try and play with the pinion angle. I had hoped to avoid that but I may not have the luxury.