Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$3k supercharger???

Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Mustangarrett

If you don't get into the boost at all until 3k rpm, how much of a fuel millage hit are you looking at compared to a bone stock mustang? To rephrase, if I'm looking to continue to drive the car as a reasonable commuter (getting 25 mpg on the high way np) but would also like to have plenty of power when I do nail it above 3k rpm, would this work well for that?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

if you stay out of the throttle, you will actually see MPG gains.

when I supercharged my 2006 F-150 with a RoushCharger, I picked up 1 mpg with my normal daily driving. conversely, I dropped below 10 mpg when I was feeling frisky. Then again, that was a 6,000 lb truck with 412 HP, 500 TQ though.

A Centri blower is always making a little bit of boost. They just don't make alot of boost down in the lower RPM's. This gives you a denser air charge which bumps up the efficiency of the motor. So driving around with normal throttle means you come out at least even, or better in the MPG department. Just gotta stay out of the throttle if you are worried about MPG.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a million for all the info, i think i will end up going for this unit as im looking for minimal boost and if i get 400 - 450 , i would be more than happy with it. As long as it works. I dont really care how it looks, i just want one that is reliable and fun that wont break down on me.

PS; Does the dealer install these chargers
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Dealership can do the install...I personally wouldn't trust them to rotate my tires. Never had good luck with Dealerships.

A centri blower is a joke to install. Read through the install guides for them. The hardest part of the install is doing the oil lines. You have to drill/tap those lines. Otherwise it's pretty much a bolt-on. You don't even have to remove the intake manifold for this.

PM Stealth for details. I think he said he is down to 2-3 hours for an install or removal with his setup

edit: is this the unit that self oils? or the one you have to run lines for?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
PS; Does the dealer install these chargers
I wouldn't go to a dealer to install a blower. They'll kill you on labor as usual, I'd find a performance/speed shop to do it.

Nice to start seeing price cuts on these
Old 04-03-2011, 05:37 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Dealership can do the install...I personally wouldn't trust them to rotate my tires. Never had good luck with Dealerships.

A centri blower is a joke to install. Read through the install guides for them. The hardest part of the install is doing the oil lines. You have to drill/tap those lines. Otherwise it's pretty much a bolt-on. You don't even have to remove the intake manifold for this.

PM Stealth for details. I think he said he is down to 2-3 hours for an install or removal with his setup

edit: is this the unit that self oils? or the one you have to run lines for?
Stealth has a v-3 , no oil lines to disconnect or plug . not sure I agree with the centri losing out to a posi blower , I've seen some pretty stout centri's , I think its just a preference of which f.i. you like
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
not sure I agree with the centri losing out to a posi blower , I've seen some pretty stout centri's , I think its just a preference of which f.i. you like
exactly, it's a preference. They both do the same thing. just a different RPM ranges and applications.

IMO, a posi unit is better for city and spirited driving. you always have the boost on tap. the boost bypass closes instantly and the power is there.

whereas the centri is better for high speed racing and highway. mash the pedal, downshift and you are in the upper RPM's.

each has it's application. and nothing is wrong with either unit. my driving style supports posi units. doesn't mean I won't turn my nose up at a centri unit at the right price though
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Men, thanks for the info. Ill definately save this thread for future follow up. Unfortuneatly, there isnt reliable info around here. Thank god for the internet
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Just so you know there will soon be a kit that uses a take off GT500 blower. Prices are going start at around $3700. The kit should be available in May or early june. ILL post a link later right now I'm going to bed.

for the sixers, not a kit but possible.
http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=23950

Contact Sqidd, here ya go.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...it-4-6-gt.html

Last edited by loots06; 04-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I can remove or install my kit (non-intercooled) and back to only CAI/Tune in about 45 minutes. There really is nothing to it. I really like my Vortech, even if I had to take it off during the winter. It makes great power and in a very easy simple set up.. pretty much just a compressor housing, intercooler (once it arrives) and piping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $3k supercharger???