Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOWERING= VOIDED Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Your warranty can NEVER be voided.
PERIOD.
NEVER.

They can choose to NOT Cover something, if it can be proven that your mod caused the failure.
Yep.. Responsibility falls on them to prove it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

That won't void it, but I would still go with upgrades. Any time a part breaks/wears it is time for an upgrade. Just replacing the part will make sure it will happen again.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I expected a bunch of ppl to give u links and interpretations of Magnusson Act or whatever it's called and I'm surprised to only see 1 link related to that lol I checked with the dealer when I installed FRPP handling pack-- not because I had a problem, but because I wanted to find out what happens if I do have one-- and what they told me is pretty much that it varies from dealer to dealer. If your transmission is going out, they can always blame it on "excessive vibration" due to stiffer springs if they want to be a-holes about it. Just like they can find a way to relate change in pinion angle caused by lowering to a rear end issue. Are FRPP springs OEM design? No they are not because compression ratios of lbs/in are not the same as stock ones. Just because they fit it doesn't mean they are OEM design because specs are a part of "design". And yes, if they want to they will refer to FRPP parts as "aftermarket" because they alsmost see it as a completely different company not related to them. Most ppl will say that what I said is a bunch of BS, but when you run into a dealership that wants to mess with you (and I'm not saying all of them are like that) this is exactly what you're going to hear and you can try to prove the opposite to them for as long as you want to but the bottom line is either nothing is going to get done or you will have a nice bill to take care of I say just try another dealership if anything
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I thought about pasting the Magnuson Moss Warranty act but was too lazy to go through my links for it. The others members basically summed it up though.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by olvanish
I expected a bunch of ppl to give u links and interpretations of Magnusson Act or whatever it's called and I'm surprised to only see 1 link related to that lol I checked with the dealer when I installed FRPP handling pack-- not because I had a problem, but because I wanted to find out what happens if I do have one-- and what they told me is pretty much that it varies from dealer to dealer. If your transmission is going out, they can always blame it on "excessive vibration" due to stiffer springs if they want to be a-holes about it. Just like they can find a way to relate change in pinion angle caused by lowering to a rear end issue. Are FRPP springs OEM design? No they are not because compression ratios of lbs/in are not the same as stock ones. Just because they fit it doesn't mean they are OEM design because specs are a part of "design". And yes, if they want to they will refer to FRPP parts as "aftermarket" because they alsmost see it as a completely different company not related to them. Most ppl will say that what I said is a bunch of BS, but when you run into a dealership that wants to mess with you (and I'm not saying all of them are like that) this is exactly what you're going to hear and you can try to prove the opposite to them for as long as you want to but the bottom line is either nothing is going to get done or you will have a nice bill to take care of I say just try another dealership if anything
Actually, you do not have to go to another dealership. You have the right to call in the manager of the service dept and demand that he PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The tech dude simply saying "the ride angle caused the excessive vibration" or whatever bull S*** is only a guess, a speculation without proof. You have the right to challenge that assumption and make them back up their assumption with proof the aftermarket part is at fault.

If that does not work and the dealership still is giving you S***, your next step is to call corporate Ford customer relations and file a complaint against the dealership for not even taking proper steps to prove the aftermarket part is at fault. And if that does not work, your next step is to file a complaint with the BBB.

Dealerships make up bogus S*** reasons to deny warranty service all the time just at the sight of an aftermarket part without any proof. It is up to us, the customers to not bend over and take it, and it is up to us, the customers, to FORCE them to present proper proof of why a warranty work is denied.
If more or us stood up to the dealership bull S*** of making false warranty denials, they would stop doing it.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

A little off topic here but the thread raised a question for me.Why would a dealership deny warranty work?Isn't warranty work guaranteed money? I always thought it was like the medical profession and insurance.
Looks like i might of been wrong all this time but i thought the service departments made the bulk of their money from warranty work.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
Why would a dealership deny warranty work?Isn't warranty work guaranteed money?
They get refunded by Ford to an extent but they aren't making money off of it and possibly even loosing money. In the end, they run a business and want to make income.

It always vary between dealerships.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

The dealership told me last night that the service department was closed and I could not pick up my car until they varify the car is "put back together" with the tech. I asked since the warranty would not cover the issue, if I was going to be charged for the service, the told me this time, they will not charge me, like he was doing me a favor. Anyways, when I stop by the dealership today, I'll be sure to speak to the service parts manager with a print out of the link that Daredevil posted (thank you btw)

I believe in the same concept that was posted, when something breaks, I always look at it as an opportunity to upgrade that part but this time it's more the principle that anything. What if something goes wrong with my electric system and they blame it on the HID light? For the amount of money they rapped me out of (my fault too), I think I deserve the peace of mind.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

They just called me telling me that the car is ready to be picked up. I asked him, since they are telling it's the control arms, if I replaced the control arm, would the clicking sound go away. He responded with, "we do not know because we cannot replicate the sound, the TSB ( whatever that is) points to the control arm but it may not be the case, we cannot cover it because of the springs. WTF?!?!? They just told me yesterday that they found the sound and it was the lower control arms.

What should I do?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

I would take the decree to the owner of the deaership. I'm sure they wont want to lose a customer over $15-$20 that they would lose from doing the warranty work, not to mention the bad rep. I know the dealership I bought my car from bends over backwards for me everytime I go in there, mainly because they know I have paida lot of money for all of my cars, and I plan on doing business there again.

We have 4 people that have bought new fords from them, and I will be buying another one when the next body style comes out. Just threaten to take your business elsewhere.

Quick Reply: LOWERING= VOIDED Warranty?