Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a GT In Snow/Slush

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I try to avoid driving the stang when there's snow here in Denver, but I dont watch the weather that closely in the morning either. Real snow tires are night and day (I have a spare set of wheels with Blizzaks just in case) but I usually just use all seasons. I had a 97 V6 with a posi in it that could probably pull a tree trunk out. Back a few years, the CEO actually ordered us all to leave. Well, us IT guys worked in the attic with no windows and so we couldnt see how much snow there was. By the time I got out, it was over 18" deep and I have 37 miles one way. I made it all the way home and at our place there was 2 ft on the ground. I just parked it in the street in front of the house. Not a good drive but was proud of my 97 that day.

And if your wife or girlfriend drives an SUV, tell her if the road is clear ahead of cars in snow and there's a line a mile long behind her....GET THE F-ity BLANKETY BLANK BLANK out of my F-ING WAY!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
I feel ya. People turn stupid here in Atlanta when it snows as well. Just look at the bright side, like I do: It doesn't happen often where you live...

I had an 88 4-cyl back when, I was caught in a flash blizzard back in 93 I think, within about 10 minutes there was an inch of snow on the roads, and I had a fun, slow drive back home.
Yeah - but you guys get ice storms too! Thats some nasty stuff! Denver doesnt get those thankfully! Snow blower / shovel can make sure I at least get out of the driveway.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I have the same issues with snow and ice here and Canada. We got lots of snow and extremely cold as well. Good tread soft winter tires is the true solution. I never used sand bags or any of that non sense. Standard transmission makes a huge difference as well. Easy on the pedal and that got me out of trouble.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Yeah - but you guys get ice storms too! Thats some nasty stuff! Denver doesnt get those thankfully! Snow blower / shovel can make sure I at least get out of the driveway.
True, that's the real danger here. This year, we had 3 snowstorms in one season, which I have never seen in nearly 40 years living here, very rare. Usually we just have 1 possibly 2 per season if any. But each one turned to ice. The snow lasted one day and the ice lasted over a week on the worst one. Thankfully I have the option to work from home, so I did...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I quite enjoy the snow now that I got Eagle GTs. So much better then the Pirellis in every condition IMHO. I realized that driving in the winter doesn't have to be stressful, so I literally just break loose everywhere I go. I don't see why people complain. Just have fun. It's kind of like someone with 500HP complaining that there car is too fast. Now hills are no fun at all. I slid down a hill twice this winter and its one of the scariest experiences I have ever had in my car. Freaky stuff.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I drive my car year-round (wish I didn't have to) and that includes some snow. Now if it's bad I obviously stay I can get through a few inches. As long as you have decent tires and some control of the car you'll be fine. A limited slip rear helps too
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
ill_eagle94
1st Gear Member

Tires make all the difference in the world!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

This thread makes me sooo happy summer is coming
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ill_eagle94
Tires make all the difference in the world!
Absolutely.

About the best thing I can say about all-season tires generally is that they're better in the winter than dedicated summer tires and better in the summer than dedicated winter tires. But they aren't the optimum choice for either. Some folks who live in areas with heavier snowfall than I get where I live call them "three season tires", for a reason.

Edit - snow in SoCal???

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-11-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Ya I bought a 97 Explorer for 4k because even with snow tires I live on a hill and was always afraid I would slide down it or not be able to get up it. The Explorer is now a POS and I've only owned it for 2 months, gonna have to come up with a winter plan.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 04-11-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving a GT In Snow/Slush