Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top speed, dissapointing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I've never driven that fast. How did the stang feel at 142? Planted or kinda floaty?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

your speedo (unless you changed gearing) doesn't need to be calibrated, they just aren't accurate above 100mph, get yourself a GPS to verify your speeds.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I would get the limiter taken off, but be careful trying to hit higher speeds, theres a lot of funny things that can happen when you are covering a football field every second. What were their rules (if any) on when you need certain safety equipment?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM
MustangFTW

are you sure your Drive shaft is rated for those speeds?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

If you're anywhere near SoCal, check out Greg Monroe at Racer's Edge Tuning in Norwalk. If you're hung up on dyno numbers, go elsewhere as his dyno in referred to as the "Heartbreaker"; http://www.racersedgetuning.net/.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I've never driven that fast. How did the stang feel at 142? Planted or kinda floaty?
It gets floaty lol. I've only brought mine up to 130 at it's highest and it feels like I'm about to prepare for take off. I'm assuming it's probably because of the completely stock suspension setup I have right now.

Lately I've been considering thinking about adding on the Ford Racing Handling Pack
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

at 140 you need hood-pins.. lol i swear that hood looks like its gonna rip off.. very interesting thread here.. i'm lowered, and at that speed.. i'm not floaty.. i can remember stock being 120+ and it was floaty then.. but alot of that has to do with your spoiler setup also.. more surface area - better downforce, etc.. and all that garb..

i know with my SCT X3 my top speed limit is up to 200 and i've got my rev limiter up to 6400rpm.. but definately Brent @ brenspeed would be able to help you out..
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I
Was it worth it, yes. Could it have been better organized, yes. Will they be better prepared next time, probably. Will I go back in October, probably (where else am I gonna find out how well the fixes work?).
Anyway, in a nutshell, fun event, lot's of great cars... not enough mustangs, and I felt ashamed of the number, but I had a reasonable excuse, bouncing off the speed limiter a little over halfway down the mile. Everyone said that's the best way to turn up a "low" number, but I don't want to know what the announcer was saying, maybe something like "...here's another Mustang, we'll be waiting awhile for the next run."
Thanks Dan, sounds like you had a good time. If I take my Boss it's limited at 155 and I hope to remove the limiter before I go. I don't think a Boss will hit over 165 mph in the mile and the suspension and tires should be fine at that speed.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
It felt good for the most part, the tires felt a little out of balance, that may be due to the fact there is not much of a chance for warm up, no burnouts, but I'll probably go in for a balance prior to another event.
Also, my suspension is quite modified, it is more tuned for twisties than a straight track though.

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
your speedo (unless you changed gearing) doesn't need to be calibrated, they just aren't accurate above 100mph, get yourself a GPS to verify your speeds.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I would get the limiter taken off, but be careful trying to hit higher speeds, theres a lot of funny things that can happen when you are covering a football field every second. What were their rules (if any) on when you need certain safety equipment?
The speedo off by about 8-10% seems significant enough to try to tweak it using gps.
The rules are pretty lax, as a driver, you get a 150 MPH limit off the bat with just a helmet and gloves, your car gets it's own limit based on tires and safety equipment, fire extinguisher required. Assuming tires are good enough, I think you can go 170 before a roll bar is required, also a fire suit is required to go above 170. I think 190 was the breakpoint where you needed all kinds of gear, fire supression, fuel cutout, head support, etc.

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
at 140 you need hood-pins.. lol i swear that hood looks like its gonna rip off.. very interesting thread here.. i'm lowered, and at that speed.. i'm not floaty.. i can remember stock being 120+ and it was floaty then.. but alot of that has to do with your spoiler setup also.. more surface area - better downforce, etc.. and all that garb..

i know with my SCT X3 my top speed limit is up to 200 and i've got my rev limiter up to 6400rpm.. but definately Brent @ brenspeed would be able to help you out..
Hood pins are a definite (at least5 with the 05-09's), I'd say above 120. I've got pins and I was still seeing some hood movement with the crosswind.
I'm thinking I'd like someone very familiar with emissions tunes since I live in Californiastan, I'd like to be able to load a smog tune and just go pass rather than have to go back and forth with various tweaks. But it may just be that since the FR/whipple is supposedly adaptive to basic mods, that I just do a "return to stock" flash?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I'd agree on the hood pins above 120mph....mine lifts about an inch above the fenders, downright freaken scary!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Ray Lucca

Dyno Day, Sat. April 30th at RET in Downey, 3 pulls with A/F, HP and Tq, 9 Am- 5 Pm, $ 45.00 Cash. It's always a great experience. See you there???

Quick Reply: Top speed, dissapointing.