Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Tires. Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Default Need New Tires. Suggestions?

I tried the search function, and my search-fu was not strong. I'm sure this has been covered a dozen times... sorry.

I need new tires. The Pirelli P-Zero's that came with my car are great on the twisties, but if it's below 80 degrees outside, grabbing second tends to point me directly at the ditch and/or curb. I recently installed some tubular LCAs (UMI Performance), and I think they are contributing to the problem. The good news is, wheelhop is gone!

I want something that is great for straight line driving, but also good for daily use including some cornering.

Any suggestions or feedback? Thanks guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Nothing like giving us specifics to help us help you...

How about telling us how you use the car? Track? Aggressive street? Do you store it in the winter? Intend on getting dedicated winter tires if you DO drive it through the winter? Budget? Stock tire size or have you gone bigger? Wheel size?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
BadhandUK

I can heartily recommend TOYO T1R's. Have used several sets on road and track, long diastance highway commutes, twisty country lane thrashes and all year round.

Admittedly I'm in the UK so weather conditions vary only mildly from slightly cold to slightly warm and I cope with a lot of drizzle...

Streets ahead of the awful P Zeros though.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Nuke,

Clearly the quoted text below is enough to spark at least some insightful commentary on the question I've posed. For what it's worth, my car doesn't get driven in winter and the wheels are 19 inch. I don't care to get any more specific than that. I just want to hear some general opinions and experiences. As previously stated, under aggressive acceleration conditions, the car tends to get loose in the rear end. Pirelli P-Zero tires are summer performance tires. Which I'm sure you know are NOT great for hard accelerations, especially on cooler pavement. There's MORE than enough information here to strike up a conversation, as BadhandUK has shown us. If you don't feel like enough data has been provided to warrant a response, then by all means, move on. Thanks.

Originally Posted by VRFlip
I want something that is great for straight line driving, but also good for daily use including some cornering.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for the feedback BadhandUK! I'll research the T1R's a little further.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Nitto NT555s seem to be a pretty popular choice. I just put a pair on my rear wheels. So far so good but I haven't really been able to test em out
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Bite me. Despite you saying "I want something that is great for straight line driving, but also good for daily use including some cornering" you also stated "if it's below 80 degrees outside, grabbing second tends to point me directly at the ditch and/or curb". Hence my request for more clarification since you do seem to imply 2 somewhat different styles. Besides that, in St. Louis you can get a good bit of snow and ice. If you drive all year or store your car for the winter, your choices change dramatically. You also imply that you presently have summer tires ("if it's below 80 degrees outside, grabbing second tends to point me directly at the ditch and/or curb").

I can drop the make and model of about 2 dozen tires that will suit a soccer mom car in your local environment, all but maybe 1/2 dozen of which would be worth a dime on a Stang. But if you don't want input from someone willing to determine what your REAL needs are, then I'll let others toss everything including the kitchen sink at you.

Last edited by Nuke; 04-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM
BadhandUK

I'm running NITTO NT05's at the moment and am initially impressed with their awesome grip and feel on twisty tarmac. Will be giving them a proper test on track at Spa Francorchamps soon, but by all accounts they are almost as good as TOYO R888's on track.

I hear the sidewalls on the NITO 555's area bit soft so good in straight line but a bit bobbins otherwise. I have no personal experience though and on 19's you might be alright...

19's are an awkward size in the UK so choice of tire is always limited for us Brits. May be different for you guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out some Nittos as well.

Nuke, I'm sorry I couldn't provide adequate information for you to make an informed response to this thread. If the internet bully routine is all you have left to bring to the table, I again ask you to move on.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Nittos are sorta the popular choice around here, lately they've been hitting the wheels of many forum members. I've also head BFG KDWs are strong performers in a variety of ways from strip and twisties.

I've so far only been riding on my Pirelli Pzeros from the factory, but the all season variety in 18". I have to say I personally love them, great grip for stock tires. In any case because of the price/performance ratio, I think if I can find some KDWs cheap, I'll be picking those up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need New Tires. Suggestions?