Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 seriously bad wheel hop. why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drock111
Those ones suck. There's mich better ones then that
Change your attitude quickly. You're the one asking the question, so I would doubt you have any idea what better even represents.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drock111
Those ones suck. There's mich better ones then that
My buddies with the 3.55 and brembos had some dang good wheel hop, then he learned how to drive it better and it stopped pretty much. For the price UMI isnt bad, but I would just wait another couple months until you wear the tires down and then get different ones. Yes that matters a lot. I have no hop at all on mine with different tires than my buddies...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't pay list price for those LCAs I linked. I got them for $152 if I recall. I wanted the spherical bushing to avoid handling problems, but wanted the hard poly bushing for a firmer LCA. There are a couple of combo setups on the market, these had grease fittings on both bushings, and that's what ultimately sold me on them.

Honestly, I imagine most of these aftermarket tubular LCAs are very close to the same in terms of performance. At any rate, these UMIs that I put on my car did the trick in a major way. Not a single hop since.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

For most uses they aren't anything special, but the reason to get them is mostly just to make sure that your wheels don't hop. The tubular design minimizes flex more than the stamped design that comes from the factory.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Something I found out that eliminates wheel hop, and this is pretty much a no-brainer, so please don't kill me if this sounds sarcastic, but basically, learning to drive eliminates it altogether.

What I mean is knowing just how much to step on the gas. These are V8s and stepping on the gas pedal just a millimeter too far will overpower the suspension. But by feathering the gas just right, even in spirited driving, the hop will stop.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Something I found out that eliminates wheel hop, and this is pretty much a no-brainer, so please don't kill me if this sounds sarcastic, but basically, learning to drive eliminates it altogether.

What I mean is knowing just how much to step on the gas. These are V8s and stepping on the gas pedal just a millimeter too far will overpower the suspension. But by feathering the gas just right, even in spirited driving, the hop will stop.

Nah, I've driven plenty of V8's with more power and with less power. Cars built in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Never experienced wheel hop with the same driving techniques. In this case it's the car and it can be remedied. I'm just looking for the simplest and most cost-effective remedy. Based on what others have said, LCA's is a good option.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

You can always tame your driving back until wheel hop stops, but I think the idea is that sometimes it's fun to have a smokey launch
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

"Not launching" isn't a fix for wheelhop! lol
Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
You can always tame your driving back until wheel hop stops, but I think the idea is that sometimes it's fun to have a smokey launch
Right! Tires are items that wear down anyway, and if the rears get too bald, you just rotate them to the front! LOL

I know what you mean; nothing like the smell of smoking tires from a burn-out!
(Shhh! Don't tell the cops, I been stopped twice last winter already!)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
"Not launching" isn't a fix for wheelhop! lol
There are different levels of "launching", and until you get the wheelhop under harsh launch under control you'll be quicker if you leave just enough easier to avoid the hop. I got into a little wheelhop at an autocross a couple of weeks ago. Figure it added at least half a second to 36-ish second run times.

Meanwhile, sneak up on the solution. LCAs first. If they're not enough, UCA. If that still hasn't fixed it, a small geometry fix - a minor amount of lowering seems to help - or even stiffer engine mounts may be needed.

Norm