Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does this setup sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default How does this setup sound?

Since I broke that strut mount stud and I need to replace it, I might as well upgrade my suspension while I'm there. How does Koni Sport Shocks and struts (yellows), steeda sport springs, adj. panhard bar, and J&M caster/camber plates sound?? Any suggestions? and most importantly am I forgetting anything?

**EDITED**

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 04-15-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
matt8998nm
1st Gear Member

only thing I can think of is a panhard bar to align the rear once you lower the car
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

adjustable pan hard isn't mentioned. i would recommend koni yellows over the d specs, you can rebuild the yellows down the road and the d specs you cant and the konis ride as good as stock on two turns and handles much better. also i didn't get the steeda mounts because they had adjustment for the track i knew i dont need. i went with J&M camber plates from AM for about $100 less than those steeda parts. i used the tokinko blues and just hated them so i was a bit burned on the d specs and sam strano and a lot of other guys had good experiences with the yellows and they are well worth the money.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Forgot to mention a panhard bar, but is that hard to install? Like how am I going to know how to adjust it to align the rear?

Shane -- Ok so I am switching out the Steeda mounts for the J&M's, and the tokico for Koni yellows. Strano says that the yellows are on a nationwide back order so I am going to contact them and see how long that wait will be.

The new setup I have is Koni yellow struts and shocks, steeda sport springs, J&M caster/camber plates, and a panhard bar. Good?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

that covers it, be sure to get an alignment. i paid a local shop $250 IIRC to install it all and align the car. money well spent me thinks. yellows are always back ordered it seems, i tried to get the dealer to let me keep my suspension so i could sell it but oddly they wanted the suspension on the car and did not want the tsw wheels. lol i also got the j&m adjsutalbe panhard bar, it ws a lot cheaper than the parts sam had. as for knowing how to adjust it, just turn it untill the rear tires are uniform with the rear bumper. it wont be off much, the tire may stick at a quarter inch or so more on one side than the other.

EDIT: win, 2000 post lol

Last edited by ShaneM; 04-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
that covers it, be sure to get an alignment. i paid a local shop $250 IIRC to install it all and align the car. money well spent me thinks. yellows are always back ordered it seems, i tried to get the dealer to let me keep my suspension so i could sell it but oddly they wanted the suspension on the car and did not want the tsw wheels. lol i also got the j&m adjsutalbe panhard bar, it ws a lot cheaper than the parts sam had. as for knowing how to adjust it, just turn it untill the rear tires are uniform with the rear bumper. it wont be off much, the tire may stick at a quarter inch or so more on one side than the other.

EDIT: win, 2000 post lol
Congrats on the 2000 post lol. Alright I hope to order all this soon. I plan on installing this all myself as its my first car and I want to learn as much as possible, plus I enjoy working on it. The stealership wanted your suspension probably so they can put a big sticker on the window that says blower and suspension or something along the lines of that lol. When someone buys your car they are basically buying a better version of a 427r IMO. If I was closer I would honestly trade mine in on yours. (keep my wheels ofcoarse, since they wouldnt want them anyway lol)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Congrats on the 2000 post lol. Alright I hope to order all this soon. I plan on installing this all myself as its my first car and I want to learn as much as possible, plus I enjoy working on it. The stealership wanted your suspension probably so they can put a big sticker on the window that says blower and suspension or something along the lines of that lol. When someone buys your car they are basically buying a better version of a 427r IMO. If I was closer I would honestly trade mine in on yours. (keep my wheels ofcoarse, since they wouldnt want them anyway lol)
with a full swap you wont need to remove the springs from the factory perch and strut., you will need a compressor to get the springs on the new dampers though. a did in the local club just took the springs, perches, and dampers to the shop and they mounted the springs and stuff for $50 and he bolted it all on.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
with a full swap you wont need to remove the springs from the factory perch and strut., you will need a compressor to get the springs on the new dampers though. a did in the local club just took the springs, perches, and dampers to the shop and they mounted the springs and stuff for $50 and he bolted it all on.
I was just thinking that. I can install the new springs and mounts on the shock, that just bolt it in all in one shot. I'm sure that'll save alot of time not having to take the stock unit apart.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I have the Koni Yellows, Steeda Ultralites, Steeda Adj P/B, and Maximum Motorsports plates. I can tell you right off the bat that the car will blow your mind on the first drive. It was such a huge difference that I had 2 other people drive the car to make sure I wasn't just having an overreaction to the succesfull install, lol. If you're going to do it yourself just rent the spring compressor from the local Autozone/Advance etc. and return it when you're done. You're going to need some jack stands and a jack (obviously). The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is a torque wrench, or two, that covers 20 ft-lbs to about 170 ft-lbs I think. Other than that it's a pretty easy install, if not a tad bit time consuming on the front. Pull up Taco Bill's writeup and follow along while you do it and there's also a link to an exploded front/rear diagram with torque values on that page. Oh, and my panhard bar took less than 5 minutes to install and adjust.

Edit: Ford also list the strut-to-spindle bolts as one time use. It's up to you whether or not you want to reuse the original bolts, as a lot of people have done, but Ford officially recommends replacing them.

Last edited by jrockgts197; 04-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:44 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input man, I am actually getting pumped for this cause to me the car rides like **** in my opinion. I just have one other question. When I take it in for the alignment, will they adjust the camber/caster? I really dont feel like ruining a brand new set of nittos.

Quick Reply: How does this setup sound?