Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child friendly??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
USAforce87

Default Child friendly??

Hello forum,
A quick intro- my name is Travis, I am a Sergeant in the Air Force, and I drive a supercharged 2005 Dodge Dakota. I've always been anti-Ford since I started modding my Dodge but I started taking second looks at the 2010/11 Mustang GTs and I have a new goal, own and modify one.
Only one thing stands in my way, I am sure some of you have encountered this brick wall, the WIFE! She knows my heart belongs to stripping and rebuilding motors, adding parts, making vehicles fast and stand out from the rest. Her problem isn't the modding though, it is the fact that we want children soon and she doesn't think the Mustang will accommodate baby seats well. Side note- We will have a small SUV for her vehicle, and the main kid vehicle. But, I need some reassurance from 05-11 Mustang owners that these cars can handle kids as far as room (for two), child seat operation, room in the trunk for baby bags, etc. etc. for a car that will be used secondarily for child commute.
I welcome any and all opinions on the parent-friendliness of these cars from current owners. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

First, thank you for serving our country, your services are much appreciated! I have an 9 year old daughter and a 2 1/2 year old son. My wife drives a VW Passat, which is our family car. However, on occasion, I take the kids in my Sixxer and they love going for rides in it! The back seat isn't bad for small children, however, as they grow older the leg room can become an issue. My sons car seat sits fine in the back, however his shoes rub up against the back of my seat, so I put the car seat on the passenger side of the back seat. It's not ideal, however it works. My son asks to go for rides in Daddy's Mustang a couple time a week. I just asked my daughter and she says she feels fine riding in the back seat. =-)

Last edited by kevinmalec; 04-22-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I use my 05 GT as a daily driver and I have a 2 yr old that rides in it every day. The car has the anchors for the car seat on both sides of the back seat and the car seat fits nice and secure back there. The front seats slide far enough forward that I can step in the back floorboard and strap/unstrap my son without much problem and you can move it back far enough to comfortably fit an adult in the front without cramping the kid in the back. We have a big stroller that wouldn't fit in the trunk so we just bought a smaller one to keep in the Stang. Like your wife, mine was also skeptical about using the Mustang with the baby and we almost sold it. We have a big SUV that we use most of the time if we need the extra space. Surprisingly the Mustang works very well for us as a secondary vehicle with a child. I can go get 2 weeks worth of groceries and fit them in the trunk along with the stroller and still have room for my emergency detailing supplies back there, lol. I'm so glad we kept the car because the look on his face when I crank it up is priceless! He absolutely loves to ride in the thing and he makes engine noises while I'm going through the gears and yells "daddy driving race car" lol. He also recognizes other Mustangs on the road, too. I say go for it, it works surprisingly well with a child. I was shocked, really.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have a little umbrella stroller I keep in the trunk for him. It's not very big, but it serves its purpose. It's a great feeling when your 2 year old loves the sound of your Mustang and points out ther Mustangs out on the road. My son does the same thing! He also picks out the Mustang Matchbox cars and has a nice little collection going. My son is also obsessed with watching mustang burnouts and donuts on Youtube, don't ask...LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

LOL, no way! My son is the same way! His personal youtube favorite is the blue 408w with the ridiculous cam, we have to watch it every night before bed. Sorry to derail the thread, OP. I think what we're trying to say is that these cars are decently adequate 2nd vehicles with children, and the kids LOVE them, lol.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by jrockgts197
LOL, no way! My son is the same way! His personal youtube favorite is the blue 408w with the ridiculous cam, we have to watch it every night before bed. Sorry to derail the thread, OP. I think what we're trying to say is that these cars are decently adequate 2nd vehicles with children, and the kids LOVE them, lol.
That's awesome, I think I remember that video! My son's favorite is the supercharged Cobra black mustang video, it has over 500+ HP! The Cobra is the model before ours, I think 2003. The guy in the video swears and I have to mute it out, because my son repeated it the 1st time!! The guy filming says, "holy sh**, he rips on that thing!" yes, the car is an adequate 2nd vehicle. My wife even gave me the go ahead to purchase a Mustang V8, once I pay my sixxer off. The wife has become a Mustang fan as well!! Gotta love it!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I don't have kids (only 19 lol) but when I have to take my little sister out, her friends have to sit in the back and they are around 10-13 year age group. They never complain, usually because they are having too much fun riding in the car haha. But, I could see a teenager getting sick of it, or maybe a very tall pre-teen.

Trunk space is decent, when I go home for weekends (from college) I always have a ton of laundry and about 2.5 baskets will use up most of the room, so in that essence- yes trunk space is a *little* tight for hauling large amounts of anything. But when I use the backseat for stuff, I usually have ample room for everything I need for the weekend.

Safety is much better with the 2010 and up, so no worries there. I feel confident and safe in mine (except winter without snow tires) at all times of the year hauling my precious cargo around.

In my opinion, the impracticality of the stang is ALWAYS overshadowed by that smile I get from my little sis when I punch it on a ramp or something haha. I say do it, the children will survive without a little legroom...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I can't see any way to put a reasonably safe rear facing infant seat in the back and still be able to fit two average height adults in the front. Sorry, just being honest. Child seats take up tons of room, especially rear facing child seats.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I can't see any way to put a reasonably safe rear facing infant seat in the back and still be able to fit two average height adults in the front. Sorry, just being honest. Child seats take up tons of room, especially rear facing child seats.
It's doable. Would I go that route if it were the primary means of transportation of the child? No way. My wife and I are both over 5'10" and dealt with the rear facing seat on short trips when we couldn't take our truck. You cant get all gangster and lean the seats way back, but it's not terribly uncomfortable. The good thing is that the rear facing seats slide back farther into the seat bucket so you still have a bit more room than you would imagine. I could see having a rear facing child seat behind the driver's seat being annoying, but i have no experience with that. The amount of time they spend in rear facing seats is short, all things considered, and if it's a secondary vehicle then it wont be as much of an inconvenience. Again, it's not an ideal vehicle for carting around kids, but it's adequate for a secondary vehicle. The car seats have also come a long way and most are nowhere near as bulky as the older ones. My son is getting a Recaro booster seat in the next couple of years, lol.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

the only time someone complained about not enough room in the back seats were when my father who is 6 + feet tall was in there lol

My sister's friends, my friends, my gf's friends never complain, partly because they have a lot of fun riding in it lol but with the seat far enough forward you'll have plenty of room.

Quick Reply: Child friendly??