Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mods= what I spent (breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

Just added the soon to be started cost of building my motor and made sure to hide the total from her this time haha.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

OP - You've done everything I plan to do. Great writeup.

I have an excel spreadsheet with part #, link to part, price, and totals at the bottom. My wife snatched it to buy my xmas present.... so it's worth it all day. I'm at 3K since purchase in August

Last edited by 99gtstang; 04-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

OP, very nice build and worth the money! Did you ever run it down the 1/4 mile?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by outceltj
I think women are sitting on a goldmine. They have something that every man wants.
With the price of gold lately, it's twice as tough on us.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

wow.. and i thought i was the only geek to keep a spreadsheet.. lol

i'm afraid to total mine and look at it though.. not sure i want to know.. maybe one day when i'm bored... all i know is i'm happy with everything i've done with it so far.. and i'll probably keep adding to the spreadsheet..

yay for 1k posts and 4th gear!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My 06 had gears, CAI, tuner,exhaust, rear suspension, body kit stuff, I'd gutted it and put dynamat down, stereo crap, etc...etc...and altogether I'd guess I had maybe 2500 invested in her. Almost everything done to it I did myself to save labor costs and have some pride in it. When I went to trade, I got every penny invested back.

I've had the '10 new off the lot for 2 months now. So far, I've got about 1500-2000 in it and I'm about done for now. She's running frickin great now and Im happy where it currently is.

I dont track how much I've spent except in my head because it's money already gone...why worry about it? The way I look at it, you could lose it all tomorrow, so live for the moment as much as you can.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Wow, that list is almost spot on what I hope to do to a future v8 pony once I get one, except for the cams. That's quite a bit more in cost than I had thought it would be too.

Lately I've been adding up how much I've spend on my car in general as well. I believe I have only reached a bit under the $2,000 mark with not much to show for it. The one that hurt the most was a $400 bill slapped on me for when I got my transmission flushed (we tried to do it at work, but it didn't take) and my exhaust aligned correctly (had to throw it on at work 15 minutes before we closed, which we weren't supposed to do at all, but my assistant manager was awesome). I figure if I didn't buy my laptop or my gaming computer, that I would be a proud new owner of an X-charger. But that is a long wait and time to save up. Plus I wouldn't trade the comfort of this $200 computer chair for much of anything.

Also, am I the only one that tries to justify buying new parts as a "learning experience" for when it comes to install them? I got giddy when I had the chance to install a fuel filter as it something I hadn't done before or known much about. It was a $10 part (without tax since I wore my Valvoline hat to Advanced Auto Parts and they gave me the company discount ) but taught me that it wasn't very hard to change out and I also learned that working on your back in the driveway is much tougher than standing in a pit. The stupid thing took me about an hour to disconnect because I was afraid of breaking the fuel line, but I figured out that its fine to use the same force on it as you would with a stubborn air filter.

Also, I've decided to hold off from further modifications and to save for a GT sometime over the next few years. A 412-hp starting point is much better than a 210-hp area. I would love to learn how to install a new driveshaft though...
Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan1718

...Also, I've decided to hold off from further modifications and to save for a GT sometime over the next few years. A 412-hp starting point is much better than a 210-hp area...
Wise move.......Recognizing you want more power than a v6 can ever give you. You should really only mod a car that you plan to keep for awhile. Save for the fiveOh!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Don't get me fuggin started
Just waiting for the day where all I really need/care about is my toys and a great Yellow Lab to keep me company. However, my body still tells my brain to do stupid schitt to keep me chasing that trap between a womans legs!
I think it's ironic that there's a woman in the car with you in your sig picture.

I'm eighteen. I don't know where the hell people are finding the sane women who they can stay with for their whole lives...every single one of them that I've been with turns out to be ****ing N-U-T-S after we start dating.

Last edited by 4LiterSonic; 04-27-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Im lucky my girl doesnt say a whole lot if anything. But there is a reason. We have new counter top and cupboards in the kitchen. I also installed laminant flooring in the kitchen and the entry way. Plus we have new stainless steal appliances. Right now im working on putting a 10*12 shed in the back yard but thats kind of for me since I need the space in the garage. And a privacy fence. Those two things should be done within the coming month. So my thinging is when I do things with the car she realizes things will get done to the house also.

Quick Reply: My mods= what I spent (breakdown)