Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Stock "GT" Fender Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Question about Stock "GT" Fender Emblem

Has anyone taken their stock "GT" fender emblem off or have one laying around that they could look at for me (maybe even send me a pic)?

I am looking to change my fender emblems with some Scott Drake 1966 GT Fender Emblems that I ordered from CJ Pony Parts. I chose this style to match the retro look I am going for, as well as to match the custom faux gas cap I made on the trunk (see sig).

Before I remove the stock ones, I need to know some info regarding how they are constructed... I know... I know... I should've figured this out before ordering the new ones, but they were on sale so I jumped...

Are the stock ones mounted with double sided adhesive tape and alligned with some pins (sort of like the trunk emblem)? If there are pins, can someone tell me how many (probably 2) and what the spacing is between the posts?

I want to know if my new emblems are large enough to cover the holes that would be left behind, or if I am going to have to weld them in...

Thanks gals and guys.

Don
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

friend of mine has the exact same emblems.
they will cover the 2 holes in the fender.
the holes are offset about 1 inch apart, staggered.
but that emblem will cover the holes, see....
nice emblem, btw

Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
friend of mine has the exact same emblems.
they will cover the 2 holes in the fender.
the holes are offset about 1 inch apart, staggered.
but that emblem will cover the holes, see....
nice emblem, btw
onederful100... That's exactly what I wanted to hear... Thanks...

btw, do you know if he used the mounting posts that are on the Scott Drake emblems or did he use some other method to attach them, such as silicone adhesive on the back?

Thanks again.

Don
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

idk about that.
i can ask him and get back to you.

i also replaced my fender emblem with a 4.6 badge, using double sided tape and without any pins. i just measured real carefully to make it straight.
the stock ones are held on there with double sided tape with the pins for alignment.

you could use double sided tape, and if the pins dont line up correctly you could take the pins off.
but let me ask my friend, he's on a local mustang forum, i'll get back to you when he replies.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
sound wave

bigdintexas, that is my car onderful100 posted. the back of the emblem is hollow. it has two pins that will not line up. what i did was cut off the posts with a dremel and then poured in epoxy until it was almost flush to the top of the emblem. after it hardened, i used 3m double tape. love the look of it. i was going for the classic look as well. good luck.

oh, btw, the 65-66 center caps will fit as well, as long as they are scott drake.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
idk about that.
i can ask him and get back to you.

i also replaced my fender emblem with a 4.6 badge, using double sided tape and without any pins. i just measured real carefully to make it straight.
the stock ones are held on there with double sided tape with the pins for alignment.

you could use double sided tape, and if the pins dont line up correctly you could take the pins off.
but let me ask my friend, he's on a local mustang forum, i'll get back to you when he replies.
Much appreciated...

Don
Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
bigdintexas, that is my car onderful100 posted. the back of the emblem is hollow. it has two pins that will not line up. what i did was cut off the posts with a dremel and then poured in epoxy until it was almost flush to the top of the emblem. after it hardened, i used 3m double tape. love the look of it. i was going for the classic look as well. good luck.

oh, btw, the 65-66 center caps will fit as well, as long as they are scott drake.
Those rims look awesome... Thanks for the install tips... I know what I'll be working on this weekend...

Don
Old 04-26-2011, 04:52 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

That's why I love this forum....some real smart cookies on here!
I'm getting ready to change mine out with some 1968 GT badges and using epoxy to fill in the back of the badge is the ticket. Thank you so much for the info sound wave...owe you a beer!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
sound wave

you are welcome guys. as you can tell i don't post up much here, but glad to help. bigdintexas, i had the exact same rear chrome medallion from SHR with that GT emblem. my emblem corroded and the chrome medallion started to pit. i am now running a satin ring with the black door. also, the running pony emblem instead. how is yours holding up?

thanks about the compliment on the rims. they are the ford GT repros. i really like them because the spoke pattern looks really similar to the original 65-66 mustang GT rims. kind of a modern day interpretation.

ok, time for me to go back into hiding.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

thanks, Soundwave.
when someone has a Hellion question, I'll summon you again.

Quick Reply: Question about Stock "GT" Fender Emblem