Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikado463
?????....... not sure what the heck that means......like you wouldn't want a '67 Vette or Stang just because it's an 'older shape' !

Anyways to the OP, tough descisions but if the need to haul the kids is a priority then the answer lies with the Mustang.

Point number one : No offence, but if I am dropping that much cheese, i would rather get the newest shape model before the manufacturer changes the shape on me again and again. I have no connection to old school makes or models cause i personally like newer cars, its just my own opinion. I am not denigrating the old school vehicles in any way, shape, or form.

Point number two, I sleep well at night when i know that my car has bumper to bumper warranty should anything happen. Ie. Water leaks, electronic issues, or power-train issues,

Point number three. The resale value of a new car should i want to sell it would be higher than an older car. I am speaking in the general sense.

Point number four: I owned a bronze Z06, and it was a bad a s s car and i loved it, and i love the lines of the vette. Definitely a contender. But its too darn aggressive and just really hard to control. I found it good on a track, but too harsh as a daily driver and on ordinary roads. That car was too wild for me.

Point number five: I am a Ford brand loyalist, i owned over thirty cars and about eight of them were Fords. The reliability i had was excellent so im sticking with that brand whether i have millions or chump change.

Point number six: The point im getting at is that, its a relative choice. If you like what you see and it makes you happy, then buy it. Cause you live once and try to make the best of it. Dont cheap out when buying something or else you'll end up spending more to compensate for what you dont have. I dont meant to rant, but i just wanted to drop a few lines.

Last edited by JAMAMAN; 04-29-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

If you're going daily driver I easily vote mustang. Then again I do drive a mustang for daily driving myself...but my point is that I feel like for daily driving a mustang is a better medium between performance and convenience by FAR than a corvette.

As for the reputation thing, I have to respectfully disagree. I feel that both car groups have reputations, it just depends on what your scene is. I personally like the mustang reputation better than corvettes. The more rugged IMO hard-*** image of the mustang is more appealing to me. Rough and tough, but also fast is the image I like . Corvettes are more refined, often restricted to those with male pattern baldness, and that's not so much my cup of tea.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

To the poster with all the points, pointing out all the relevant points. I would like to point out that you missed Point number 5. So the choices are add Point number five or change the last two to 5 and 6.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

LOL to above post...

Anyways, I forgot another HUGE contender and one of the reasons I won't buy GM:

THEY TOOK BAILOUT MONEY. Ford didn't. Just another reason why I will ALWAYS consider a Ford over most other makes, especially Government Motors, I mean General Motors.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I like Vettes...especially after making some nice power mods to my GT500...my wife calls Vettes "Snake Snackies" LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
11 GT CVT

Did the 2 seater thing for 3 years. Never drove that car. If I needed to stop at grocery store, haul something to work-laptop, person, stuff of any kind, the 2 seater did NOT work. I don't have kids and have other cars to switch to when needed but the problem was I was ONLY driving the other cars. The 2 seater was a garage ornament.

Replaced the 2 seater with the Mustang 5.0. Excellent performance. If it's last in the driveway, then it can handle most of the daily driving chores. Groceries fit in the trunk. Work junk can fit in trunk or back seat when needed. I don't need to plan my entire day before trying to live with the 2 seater at work.

If you want a toy, buy the Vette.

If you need a car that has performance and can handle family duties without many issues, buy the Mustang. Make the kids happy. Buy a Mustang Convertible. In the south, convertibles are almost year round cars. The kids will hardly ever ride in the Vette but they will ride in a Mustang Convertible which some of their friends will think is cool.

Buy whatever you want. But it comes down to the Mustang is pretty easy to live with and still has solid performance.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have both (07 GT and a C5 FRC w/LS6) so the question is near and dear. I got to tell you, the Vette sits in the garage a lot. Here's how it works with me - if I'm heading out to the hills for a joy ride on Sunday afternoon, its the Vette every time. Its smaller, lighter, more powerful, more responsive, etc, etc. A true plesure to drive fast on a twisty road (not that the Stang isn't but the Vette's just more fun). But if I'm doing errands, going to work, out to dinner with family, just about anywhere else its the Stang - a far more practical car. You sit down low in the Vette. Its hard to get in and out of. There is very little room inside. The Stang by comparison is just easier and more useful for everyday life.

I'll tell you this though - the "brotherhood" between Vette owners is FAR stronger than between Stang owners. For instance, the Corvette "wave" - is real, I hardly ever pass a fellow Vette on the road and don't get a wave. Mustang - now and then but not even on the same scale. Also - at track events, car shows, etc I get far more camradeire from Vette owners than Stang owners. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the price and exclusivity but also the target market - by far the majority of Vette owners are middle-aged men and tend to have higher than average incomes (yes there are of course exceptions) but the point is these guys have a lot in common...where the Stang owners are all over the map. So..that can be good or bad, all depends what you are looking for.

Regarding buying used: a Vette is probably one of the very best cars to buy used. Why? for exactly the reasons I list above - they don't get driven much and their middle-aged owners baby the heck out of them (again, there are lots of exceptions but this is true of the majority). Finding a very low mileage C5 or C6 in pristine condition is easy.

IMO, for your stated usage (family, main/daily driver) the Mustang would be the better, more pactical choice. If you could get it as a toy though, a Vette is one heck of a deal. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

True story:

The other day I stopped at a gas station because I needed some fuel and I saw a C5 Z06 and thought "Hm, maybe I could sucker him into a quick little dance to see how my S/C does against a Z06".

I pulled in and this guy in the Vette calls me over to his car with a real bad lisp. I get closer and his car is PACKED with misc. CRAP. Papers, clothes, it looked like he'd been living out of it! He starts asking me questions about my car...dumb questions:

"Is that a 6 speed? Is it fast? Is that a v8?" and then proceeds to tell me about his friends "Oh I have a friend with a 500 hp v8 Challenger" and all these other random things.

The guy was mid 50s and obviously had something wrong with him mentally. He had smoke stained, eaten away teeth and looked like a bum. Nice guy, but just not the guy I expected to see in a Z06. I almost wanted to call the police and report that I may have seen a stolen car lol. This guy wouldn't let me leave and all he did was talk to me about other people's cars.

Ok, story over lol
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

You have kids....buy the Mustang. You will have lots of fun driving/modding the Mustang and the kids will love washing/riding in the car with you....both at the same time....safely.

Get the Vette after a few years and have both....now you and the kids are styling!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:27 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
True story:

The other day I stopped at a gas station because I needed some fuel and I saw a C5 Z06 and thought "Hm, maybe I could sucker him into a quick little dance to see how my S/C does against a Z06".

I pulled in and this guy in the Vette calls me over to his car with a real bad lisp. I get closer and his car is PACKED with misc. CRAP. Papers, clothes, it looked like he'd been living out of it! He starts asking me questions about my car...dumb questions:

"Is that a 6 speed? Is it fast? Is that a v8?" and then proceeds to tell me about his friends "Oh I have a friend with a 500 hp v8 Challenger" and all these other random things.

The guy was mid 50s and obviously had something wrong with him mentally. He had smoke stained, eaten away teeth and looked like a bum. Nice guy, but just not the guy I expected to see in a Z06. I almost wanted to call the police and report that I may have seen a stolen car lol. This guy wouldn't let me leave and all he did was talk to me about other people's cars.

Ok, story over lol

Holly smokes, i died laughing when i read this post. Its called a "Crack Head". It goes to show, dont judge a book by its cover.

PS: How did you end up leaving ? Interesting story men

Quick Reply: Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette