Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

One way to think of it, if you buy a vette you are basically buying a motorcycle with a roof. It seats 2, has pretty much no room for anything else, and you won't really want to drive it in bad weather but will anyway. It will be very fun to drive, and overall I think it is a better car than the mustang. It all depends on what you want though.

With that being said, the mustang is a great choice too. If you look up videos online you can find some new 5.0 mustangs keeping up/ beating vetts with some simple to mild bolt ons.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 AM
imsonastie
2nd Gear Member

i see a million corvetts all day. they built tons.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Or, you can split the difference on exclusivity and practicality by getting a limited edition Mustang - Shelby, Roush, Boss, etc. For me, I just prefer the Mustang's style over the vette, so that makes it easier.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Holly smokes, i died laughing when i read this post. Its called a "Crack Head". It goes to show, dont judge a book by its cover.

PS: How did you end up leaving ? Interesting story men
Well, I told him I had to go inside to pay for gas...so I was hoping if I hung out inside for a few minutes, he'd be done and he'd leave.

Nope.

He was just hanging out by the pump, sitting in his car, make-believe slamming through the gears! When i came out, he yelled over to me again and I said "Sorry dude, I gotta go man...my wifes waiting for me". Then he asked about my shirt and asked if I was in the military. I told him "no, not me" and left. He was still yelling "Maybe I'll see you up at the car show tonight!"

I was just thinking "probably not." lol
Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I do not purchase used muscle/sports cars so I vote new pony
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
Well, I told him I had to go inside to pay for gas...so I was hoping if I hung out inside for a few minutes, he'd be done and he'd leave.

Nope.

He was just hanging out by the pump, sitting in his car, make-believe slamming through the gears! When i came out, he yelled over to me again and I said "Sorry dude, I gotta go man...my wifes waiting for me". Then he asked about my shirt and asked if I was in the military. I told him "no, not me" and left. He was still yelling "Maybe I'll see you up at the car show tonight!"

I was just thinking "probably not." lol

Strange story. Maybe he is going through a divorce and lost a few screws. Keep an eye on him, he pop out on television doing someghing crazy. Take her easy men
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Drive both they are totally different cars
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 PM
key_on

I have both a Mustang and a Corvette. As others have said, they are totally different cars. If you need to use the car as daily transportation, the Mustang will most likely work out better in the long run. However, if it will be primarily a pleasure car, go with the Vette. All Corvettes are designed and engineered engineered as high performance cars whether you choose the base Vette, Z06 or ZR1. Mustangs start out pretty much as normal cars and have performance bolted on as you step up in models (GT, Boss 302, GT 500).

The best approach, as others have said, may be to get the Mustang now, then add a Vette later on. They make an awesome pair.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

For a family, the Mustang will be practical, at least for a few years. When you "have to" pick up the kids, you wont be able to with the Vette.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

For me...I would get the Vette...there is no reason not to...you have alternate transportation so if its just a car for you alone...then I would do the Vette all day long. For me, I have 4 daughters, so I HAD to get a Stang...at least its a Vert...but soon as either my car is paid off or 2 of my kids have cars of thier own, I will have a Vette or a classic camaro in my garage...

Quick Reply: Buying a New Mustang vs Used Corvette