Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang...or not?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:18 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vese
How is the 2012 v6 better then the '11 GT? Do you just mean by gas mileage? Another subject: Is there any good places other then craigslist, motortrend used vehicles and yahoo autos to find used mustangs?
He's just referring to the gas mileage, oh and also insurance will be way lower if you have a V6 rather than V8 under the hood, or well maybe not way lower...but definitely lower. If you could swing an '11 V6, I think that would be the sweet spot.

You can also check out autotrader.com as well as checking newspaper classifieds. Generally people who don't know the internet that well will give you more wiggle room on price because they just haven't done a whole lot of research. I know it sounds mean, but being that money is money, it's to your advantage to be the more informed party in the transaction.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Jim meant the fuel consumption is better. I'd say besides all of sites you listed there, I'd check the local dealerships (even Carmax) and start practicing your haggling skills haha. They might list the price a little higher than you like, but there's always room to talk them down that may just leave you with that deal or price you were looking for.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
vese

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Jim meant the fuel consumption is better. I'd say besides all of sites you listed there, I'd check the local dealerships (even Carmax) and start practicing your haggling skills haha. They might list the price a little higher than you like, but there's always room to talk them down that may just leave you with that deal or price you were looking for.
Oh I can haggle for sure... I wouldn't consider buying a car without haggling for a lower price, especially from a dealership.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

I'm not a veteran either but I have a mustang as my first car. I have a few things that you should consider

1. I drive a Roush Stage 3 and I'll tell you it's got a lot of punch for a 16 year old WAYY too much. I got too good of a deal on my car to turn it down, but that's another story.

2. I don't know if you have a girlfriend or whatever, but my GF's parents are on the strict side but they normally trust me with everything because I've been around for a little while. The one thing they don't trust me with is my car. Which doesn't seem important but it gets annoying.

3. My insurance is $200 a month and has been since I could drive. It's costly but I've heard much worse. Such as a WRX my friend pays $500 a month.

4. My car seems to spit all the gas out of the tail pipes I just don't get it. I drive spirited occasionally but the roads are too small near me to really stretch the speed it's more cornering. The gas still just disappears on me.

5. It's an awesome car and everyone respects it. No one besides some ricer heads will give you **** for having a mustang.

I went for it, and I'm happy just go with that.

A couple tips, Roush has the same insurance as a GT because the vin is off a base GT. Also my car does not work in the snow I know some people use mustangs but the Roush has too much torque for where I live.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

We bought a v6 full coverage on it and liability on an older 4runner(same policy) is less than $100/month. We were surprised at the cost.

MPGs are anything from not bad to great depending on how much you dip into the accelerator. I'd say 25-30.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

well.. you only live once.. simply put.. get what you want..

I'm not a young guy, and my stang is my 3rd vehicle i've got ins. on but i only pay $800 a year for full coverage.. which doesn't really help you there either.. but curious as to whats said in the thread here.. so basically just ignore me i'm subscribing...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I'm 19 and bought my Mustang when I was 17. Its a V6 and I love it to death, but if the money is there I would say for a first car the '11 V6 would be a good car. It gets good gas milage, good crash test ratings, and it has good power... not that a first time driver really needs all that much power. Lol. All that being said, my car has been very dependable and is still fun to drive. The prices are also coming down on the '05-'09s, so you would be able to pick up an '05 with decent milage for under 10k. I'm on my parents insurance and I pay about $100 a month for full coverage. I get pretty bad gas milage though, but I just love the way it sounds, so I can't keep my foot out of it! And I'm mostly in town I average 20.5 or something like that.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah mustang is a great car. I would say if you can afford it, go for it.

In regards to your insurance concern, the insurance on my 08 Mustang GT is less then the 09 Honda Civic 2 Door that I traded it in for.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I get pretty bad gas milage though, but I just love the way it sounds, so I can't keep my foot out of it! And I'm mostly in town I average 20.5 or something like that.
Try 16mpg here lol It's worth it though
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by Alec
Try 16mpg here lol It's worth it though
Ouch. Lol, but you're right they are worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang...or not?