Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings @ 187,000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
J2L06GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Sorry. It was an old school thing...
I know, I'm 62 and have repacked more then I want to remember.
The good thing is the sealed units do last longer.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, Ford wheel bearings are pretty stout pieces. If you owned a GM FWD econobox, you'd be on your 4th or 5th set with those miles, lol.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You have enough miles left when they start to make noise to not leave you stranded, so wait until it happens.
Like previously mentioned, you have to get the whole hub assembly. Not serviceable.
Same with the ball joints... you have to get a new control arm.
That's Ford racketeering for you.

Anyway, glad the car is still doing fine for you.
I thought with the ball joints they can just be replaced and be pressed back in there?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I thought with the ball joints they can just be replaced and be pressed back in there?
Nope.
Explorers are the same way.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I just replaced my wife's VW front wheel bearing. You will hear a loud humming/grinding noise while drivinge, especially on the freeway. And you will feel that something is pulling on your car when you let go the gas as you are driving. My advice is , dont change it unless you notice the symptoms of a worn out bearing. They go for a while. Even if they needed to be replaced, there are no safety issues. By that i mean, your wheel will not fly off or anything. However, dont take your sweet A S S time changing it either

I cant believe you have that much mileage on your car. Write Ford a letter, maybe you can get a new one for free . Hahaha. Imagine that. I hope mine lasts that long
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I just replaced my wife's VW front wheel bearing. You will hear a loud humming/grinding noise while drivinge, especially on the freeway. And you will feel that something is pulling on your car when you let go the gas as you are driving. My advice is , dont change it unless you notice the symptoms of a worn out bearing. They go for a while. Even if they needed to be replaced, there are no safety issues. By that i mean, your wheel will not fly off or anything. However, dont take your sweet A S S time changing it either

I cant believe you have that much mileage on your car. Write Ford a letter, maybe you can get a new one for free . Hahaha. Imagine that. I hope mine lasts that long
LOL Maybe they'll want it to try to figure why it has handled the miles so well
Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Feel free to pass on any pointers , im all ears haha. I need this baby to go for a real long time. Its probably the simple things that make it last a while.

Ps; Is there any rust on your car ? And does anyone reccommend it ? Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Feel free to pass on any pointers , im all ears haha. I need this baby to go for a real long time. Its probably the simple things that make it last a while.

Ps; Is there any rust on your car ? And does anyone reccommend it ? Thanks
Jamaman - No rust at all. Most people think this car has like 20,000 miles based on condition of interior, exterior, and engine compartment. Check out this link to my 177.777 mile update for all the preventative maint stuff

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...le-report.html
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

FYI: The ball joints CAN be replaced without buying control arms. I just did it in my 07 this past summer. It was really fun. I got stabbed in the finger, my buddy smashed his thumb and we drank a lot of beer. Some parts stores will tell you that you have to buy the whole assembly but I just went to a local distributor and bought Moog greaseables. Much cheaper.

Wasvette: I'm trying to catch you. 97500 on the odometer.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:02 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
Jamaman - No rust at all. Most people think this car has like 20,000 miles based on condition of interior, exterior, and engine compartment. Check out this link to my 177.777 mile update for all the preventative maint stuff

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...le-report.html
Thanks men, very much appretiated

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings @ 187,000 Miles?