Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Car Slow To Respond To Key Fob

Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Slow To Respond To Key Fob

Hey all.

Opened car normally and went for a 5 minute ride today with no issues. Upon arriving back, I got out and hit the lock on the fob, and it did nothing. After a few more attempts, it finally would lock itself, but I couldn't get the double tap unless I kept hitting it like I was playing whack a mole. Same for all other features on the fob. In the past, I've had an issue with it not working at all due to the negative clamp coming off of the battery post. But I checked that and it was stuck on like a champ. I changed out fobs to my other one, with the same results, so it's not the fob battery.

You guys have any idea on what this can be?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't know but occasionally mine does that as well. It usually only happens once or twice before it goes back to normal though. I always though it was the battery.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Maybe pull the battery for 10 min. See if that changes anything.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Any issues with your car battery?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

No issues with the battery. Fires right up. I drove the same distance to lunch again and when getting there, I had no problems with it. Then, when getting back home, same issues. So, for dinner, I thought maybe I need to run it longer, so I drove it for perhaps 15 minutes, got back, and had the issues once more.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

for some reason my '10 gt does this as well. randomly sometimes the key fob just stops working. the car won't respond to it, wont' unlock or lock. however, after teh next time i start the car and shut it off it starts working perfectly again. but i have to start teh car first.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

I've started it several times and it stays the same. I'm not sure if I just need to go on a road trip because it needs to recharge the battery some more or what the deal is. I just tried disconnecting the battery fully for about 30 minutes (was gonna be 10, but then some Soldiers got into a fight and had to deal with that). still the same result.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd test the FOB batteries; both of them. They're both probably the originals and if so, are about the same age. I've also had FOBs that had finicky buttons that didn't always function crisply after a certain amount of time inactive.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

My car has issues with the FOB also. It locks fine, even dbl tap to set the "Alarm". But when I go to open it, it works perfect to open the drivers door, but if you dbl tap the unlock to open both doors, it won't open the passenger side. I've tried the battery, and even a reprogram for the FOB.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

If the car battery has enough juice to start the car, there is no doubt that it has enough juice to pop the door locks. Supply isn't the issue here. I must have mis-read, I thought it was just like a delayed reaction to the FOB push. I'd spring for new batteries, and if that doesn't fix it, light it on fire..... no more problems!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Slow To Respond To Key Fob