Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you know alot about cams...

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Default If you know alot about cams...

Ok guys, bear with me here...I know I've been a pain in the *** since my supercharger install.

One last thing I was thinking about today while researching my new cam options....

When I had my Hot Rods installed, I didn't have new phasers or cam lockouts installed...just the cams themselves. I've read that without lockouts on the 3v's, the cams can alter timing themselves...

So my question is, is it possible that not having lockouts or new phasers could cause my car to change timing, thus causing this drastic loss of boost with the Hot Rods???

Just a wild shot in the dark...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
Ok guys, bear with me here...I know I've been a pain in the *** since my supercharger install.

One last thing I was thinking about today while researching my new cam options....

When I had my Hot Rods installed, I didn't have new phasers or cam lockouts installed...just the cams themselves. I've read that without lockouts on the 3v's, the cams can alter timing themselves...

So my question is, is it possible that not having lockouts or new phasers could cause my car to change timing, thus causing this drastic loss of boost with the Hot Rods???

Just a wild shot in the dark...
There is spark timing and cam timing. I imagine you are referring to cam timing. The cams on our cars are vairable timed. This is good thing. It creates a longer, higher torque curve. This is why the OEM cams do so well in our cars. By changing the cam timing, everything can be optimized to get better MPG, drivability, torque and overall HP.

I'm not sure why it happens, but with aftermarket cams, VCT and FI, it creates a recipe for disaster and makes it likely to have a phaser fail, causing your valve to meet your piston in an unpleasant way. Lockouts eliminate cam timing and Limiters will keep the timing in a certain range. This could be a result of higher lifts or chnages in the duration. I don't know.

Lito may get on here and explain better.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Lito...lil help hehe
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

With Hot Rod cams keep your rev limiter under 6500 and you'll be fine. My Raptor shift light comes on at 5900 and I have my limiter at 6500. I've got no boost issues with my Roushcharger and the Hot Rods. I'm pulling 15 inches of vac at idle and about 7psi of full boost with the 2.57 pulley. The blower grind cams might be a must for other superchargers such as the Saleen. But with my Roush M90 and my mods the Hot Rods don't hamper the performance one bit.

BBR is a great shop, but maybe Brent over at Brenspeed would be the best one to consult with on the Saleen. I know their Detroit Rocker cams are offered in a "blower grind" that compliment the Saleen very well. Maybe that's a better option for you.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Ya I'm thinking the same thing. This was more of a last ditch effort
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

one possibility that i don't think has been brought up yet, is
maybe there's an issue with the screws. maybe the s/c came
off a car that had engine damage and debris got sucked up?

sorry if it's been discussed and i missed it.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

It hasn't been discussed on here, however, i did talk it over with redvertstang (JC), the guy I bought it from. He seemed like a very good guy and tried to help me resolve it even after I bought it, so I don't think he would lie to me when he said that it was running perfect on his car before he took it off to sell the car.

I mean, yes, there is the possibility, but for right now, I'm gonna have to take JC's word for it...