Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiberGlass hoods

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Well even though its not a trufiber hood its still a nice looking hood, im not as concerned about it having trufiber stamped on it somewhre i just wanted to know inputs about FG hoods
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Well aside from being a shady deal, what about the OP's original questions?

suitable for a DD will the break,crack, bow?
I've been looking 2.5in cowl fiberglass hood but I'm a little skeptical still.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpormen
Well even though its not a trufiber hood its still a nice looking hood, im not as concerned about it having trufiber stamped on it somewhre i just wanted to know inputs about FG hoods
You're not getting the point. You get different quality from different manufacturers. Trufiber makes a great quality hood, so you may pay more for the quality(it's more than just a stamp... LOL). Cheaper manufactured fiberglass hoods will crack, bow, etc...

HTH
Old 05-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
You're not getting the point. You get different quality from different manufacturers. Trufiber makes a great quality hood, so you may pay more for the quality(it's more than just a stamp... LOL). Cheaper manufactured fiberglass hoods will crack, bow, etc...

HTH
You are correct in your statement
Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I've had fiberglass hoods on most of the stangs I've owned with out any problems, but I always used well known manufacturers like Cervinis or true fiber. Like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" The Cervinis hood I have now has been on for about 4 years now, and it still is in perfect shape. If you can't afford the name brand one yet, then wait till you can.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, i didnt actaully wnt a hood till isaw the CL ad, me and my dad were talking and it would cost anywhere from 300-500 dollars to have painted and i just dont want to spend that much on painting somthing that could look like **** in a year lol
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
I've had fiberglass hoods on most of the stangs I've owned with out any problems, but I always used well known manufacturers like Cervinis or true fiber. Like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" The Cervinis hood I have now has been on for about 4 years now, and it still is in perfect shape. If you can't afford the name brand one yet, then wait till you can.
Exactly, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying that you can't buy Wal-Mart bread and you should stick with Wonder Bread. This is an investment that you really can't afford to catastrophically fail, so the smart idea would be to wait and save for a hood from a well-known, major brand where you know they have a good track record and some sort of warranty policy. You won't be getting anything like that from some Jo-Shmoe on craigslist. You're taking a risk when purchasing anything from anyone, anywhere. However, with craigslist.... well let's just say a site with a section for "casual encounters" was never meant to be taken seriously.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

I agree, go with a trufiber or cervinis. Fiberglass hoods are great! But you want to go with a well known company for something like this. Another thing you gotta think about is customer service and if something is wrong with the hood, fitment problems ect.. a company like trufiber or cervinis would be more likely to work with you on a new hood or refund than CL guy would. I have a trufiber hood on my car and the quality is great! The body shop had no problems with it, and it lines up perfect. I have heard some horror stories about cheap fiberglass hoods though. So go with a more reputable company, and things will usually go alot smoother.

Also I went with hood pins because of hood flutter after about 75mph, something to think about.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seraphim118
I agree, go with a trufiber or cervinis. Fiberglass hoods are great! But you want to go with a well known company for something like this. Another thing you gotta think about is customer service and if something is wrong with the hood, fitment problems ect.. a company like trufiber or cervinis would be more likely to work with you on a new hood or refund than CL guy would. I have a trufiber hood on my car and the quality is great! The body shop had no problems with it, and it lines up perfect. I have heard some horror stories about cheap fiberglass hoods though. So go with a more reputable company, and things will usually go alot smoother.

Also I went with hood pins because of hood flutter after about 75mph, something to think about.
What hood pins did you go with? What has worked for other people?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, i have decided to pass on the CL hood to same my self some headachs

Quick Reply: FiberGlass hoods