Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Groaning noise coming from the suspension

Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #41
miner999r
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013, Mustang GT

When I accelerate hard or do some hard cornering I get some groaning / moaning the odd squawk and tut tut, but thankfully it is just a reaction from my wife in the passenger seat. do you think I need a new one? sorry very bad humour.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #42
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Vehicle: Mustangs
facebook.com/FordMustang @FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoose View Post
I just picked up a 2013 GT and am having this exact issue as well. Loud groaning/creaking noise from the suspension which is most noticeable on speed bumps. I'm going to contact my dealership about it today, car just hit 400 miles.
Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated for you as well, MadMoose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0/420 View Post
Left a message for Brian. Noise is getting louder in my opinion. 3000 miles not good....
Good. He’ll contact you back soon.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
5.0/420

Vehicle: 2013 ford mustang gt premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner999r View Post
When I accelerate hard or do some hard cornering I get some groaning / moaning the odd squawk and tut tut, but thankfully it is just a reaction from my wife in the passenger seat. do you think I need a new one? sorry very bad humour.
Lol! I think We all need a little humor after being told that there is no solution at the moment.
5.0/420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #44
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Sounds like the issue the 05-09 stangs had with weak/bad upper strut mounts. Odd thing is the fix/upgrade is going to a GT500 strut mount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #45
5.0/420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
Sounds like the issue the 05-09 stangs had with weak/bad upper strut mounts. Odd thing is the fix/upgrade is going to a GT500 strut mount...
Ford is saying LCAs...sad thing is no one really knows how to handle a situation like this. You will get less than the vehicles worth if you decide to trade it in. No win for the consumer at this point.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #46
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT

Sent a message to you deysha, thank you. My noise is getting worse as well, car is at 500 miles. It's also making popping sounds that I can both hear and feel through the gas pedal when slowly taking off from a stop.

Previous Mustangs:
2013 Boss 302 #402
2009 Mustang GT
2006 Mustang V6
MadMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #47
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Sent a message to you deysha, thank you. My noise is getting worse as well, car is at 500 miles. It's also making popping sounds that I can both hear and feel through the gas pedal when slowly taking off from a stop.
Thanks, MadMoose! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha

Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
5.0/420

Hi, Deysha.

In the meantime, what is the standard procedure if Ford does not have a solution for our issue?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #49
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Someone posted on TMS that their service advisor told them a new TSB is coming in approximately 3 weeks that includes a heat shield as a fix for the control arm squeaking. Hope it's true.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
5.0/420

Hope you're right because the situation is not very comforting. I am getting very little response from ford similar to other individuals who have the same issue.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #51
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

They'll fix it eventually. How fast just depends on how many people with the problem take the car in and get it documented. Its just like with the craptastic rear motor mount on the Focus ST that they just finally released a TSB for, once enough people complained they came out with a solution.

Previous Mustangs:
2013 Boss 302 #402
2009 Mustang GT
2006 Mustang V6
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #52
5.0/420

Hope you're right. The noise is prominent on dips, as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #53
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Hi, Deysha.

In the meantime, what is the standard procedure if Ford does not have a solution for our issue?
Quote:
Someone posted on TMS that their service advisor told them a new TSB is coming in approximately 3 weeks that includes a heat shield as a fix for the control arm squeaking. Hope it's true.
Hi 5.0/420,

Normally what happens is your dealer will advise you to come in when the “fix” is available. Sometimes you may have to keep checking in with them since the service department is a busy area. What MadMoose mentioned, is more than likely correct, as these are normal steps we take.

Deysha

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #54
5.0/420

A month now and no fix...Im sure other mustang owners are discovering the same issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #55
Shadowtech

Vehicle: 2013 mustang GT

Yea same issue 2013 gt 8500 miles on it.
as the heat's gone away for now (no 100 degree days) it's a lot better. still there going over speed bumps but not so bad.

Will wait for an official fix. I can more than live with it till sept's oil change at the dealer.
Shadowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #56
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
A month now and no fix...Im sure other mustang owners are discovering the same issue.
Please make another appointment with your dealer, 5.0/420. You should get a call from your CSM no later than tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtech View Post
Yea same issue 2013 gt 8500 miles on it.
as the heat's gone away for now (no 100 degree days) it's a lot better. still there going over speed bumps but not so bad.

Will wait for an official fix. I can more than live with it till sept's oil change at the dealer.
Hello Shadowtech,

Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer as soon as possible. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #57
mightymax

Hi Guys,
my O6 convertible started creaking last summer. I took it in and of course they could not hear it. Well this year it is getting worse. I took the car in Friday and they finally called me today/ The quote "control arm bushings are gone". The service writers first question was "Do you have an extended warranty?" No I do not. The car is highway driven about 3/4 of my daily drive. last year I had to have the ball joints replaced and got bent over for 1200.00! Today the guy tells me how much for the control arms for the rear where the noise is. I am really mad cause it is another 1000.00 plus job. I asked if next year I will be hit for another high dollar suspension repair. I aint off roading this car! I love my Mustang but today not so much. I told them to not do anything to it cause I can't afford it. I guess I drive it as is until it "breaks"

Unbelievable.....

Max Bryant
mightymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #58
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymax View Post
Hi Guys,
my O6 convertible started creaking last summer. I took it in and of course they could not hear it. Well this year it is getting worse. I took the car in Friday and they finally called me today/ The quote "control arm bushings are gone". The service writers first question was "Do you have an extended warranty?" No I do not. The car is highway driven about 3/4 of my daily drive. last year I had to have the ball joints replaced and got bent over for 1200.00! Today the guy tells me how much for the control arms for the rear where the noise is. I am really mad cause it is another 1000.00 plus job. I asked if next year I will be hit for another high dollar suspension repair. I aint off roading this car! I love my Mustang but today not so much. I told them to not do anything to it cause I can't afford it. I guess I drive it as is until it "breaks"

Unbelievable.....

Max Bryant
Are they telling you $1,000+ for rear lower control arms? Just get some aftermarket LCA's and UCA if you need that as well. And have a local shop put them in if you can't do it yourself in the driveway (they really are pretty easy to do). It will be well under $1000 and have better bushings.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #59
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang Premium 3.7 6 Speed Manual

I've owned a lot of cars and I like to keep them in top shape. A round trip through my sales territory is about 3,000 miles, I enjoy my driving and never worry about my Mustang leaving me on the road.
I change my own oil, clean my car, rotate the tires and I do all of the regular maintenance. Replacing bushings or the control arm/sway bar is as easy as changing the oil, just takes a little longer.
My time is too valuable for me to screw around with a dealer that will not fix the problem.
I'm always happy when the warranty runs out and I don't feel that I'm saving money by having the dealer fix the car.
I replaced the sway bar with 47306 - H&R Sport Rear Sway Bar (05-14 GT, V6; 07-10 GT500)
$309.99 American Muscle
My next upgrade is to:
http://www.mrt-direct.com/44a003.html
These are $225.00. The bushings on mine groan going over small bumps. I can spay them with lube and the groaning will stop for about a week, so I know this will get ride of some of the noise.
Nitto 255/45ZR18 Tires
H&R Sport Front and Rear Sway Bar
J&M lower control arms
TMI adjustable tilt headrests
Gaslock LED Shift ****
Shelby door subs
Sony 200W amp

2009 Solstice GXP Turbo
2013 F150 XLT 4X4
Chromeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #60
mightymax

okay after talking to my service guy "we" got the price down to 740.00 from 940.00

How easy are these to do. Or if I got aftermarkets what can I expect the cost for a shop to charge. Between the Ball joints (long story) last year and now this. The car has imho become a suspension nightmare!

Cheers
Max
mightymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, bumps, ford, front, groan, gt, low, mustang, noise, noisy, shock, speed, strut, suspension, tsb, whine