Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows rolling down when key turned off

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

FYI, my '11 GT/CS has yet to do this and I have checked it over 10 times just to see.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I used to have this happen constantly, until I figured out what is actually causing it. It's not turning the car to "OFF" that makes the window go back up, but actually pulling the key out of the ignition while it's still going up.

So, what do you do? You can either:

-Roll the windows up, turn the key to off, wait for the windows to finish going up, and then remove the key, or

-Turn the key to off, remove the key, roll the windows up, then wait for them to finish rolling up before getting out of the car

I find option 1 to be the best for time-sensitive situations. Keeps you 'busy' for the second or two the windows need to finish rolling up.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Time sensitive......roll windows up as you pull into the parking spot....before the car has stopped moving forward.....lol
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Time sensitive......roll windows up as you pull into the parking spot....before the car has stopped moving forward.....lol
Haha, in a public setting, perhaps! At home, I back in to the garage. With little ones running rampant, I always back in with the windows down, just to make sure I can hear what's going on before I back in.

Perhaps time sensitive isn't the best choice of words...maybe, 'when I want to get out of the car quickly'?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi tekzilla41,

Are you still having this concern? If so, I agree with AzPete in recalibrating your windows. The following steps are on page 78 of the owner's manual.

In order to improve door efforts and sealing, your vehicle is equipped with short drop glass. This feature lowers the glass when either door is opened. The glass returns to its closed position when the door is closed. Proper operation of the short drop glass requires that the windows be calibrated. Though your windows will have been calibrated before your vehicle is delivered to you, it is possible for the windows to lose calibration. If a window loses its calibration, your short drop feature will lower the window, but will not raise it again when the door is closed. To re-calibrate the window, pull the switch up to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch up for two seconds. Another possible effect of lost calibration is that the feature may not lower the window. To re-calibrate the window in this case, lower the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch down for two seconds. Immediately after releasing the window switch, pull the switch up to raise the window until it completes its travel and hold the switch up for two seconds. Perform short drop re-calibration with doors closed only. Re-calibrating with doors open will cause the window to continuously bounce back.

Hope this helps!

~Natasha

FYI, the provided link is to a site requiring a subscription.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Good morning,

For those of you still having window issues, try out the steps and let me know if that works. If not, and you want help resolving it, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information.

Additionally, you may visit FordOwner.com at your convenience, if you have not already. Here you can access your owner's manual, as well as view any bumper to bumper warranty and recall information. One benefit to creating your own personalized account is a quarterly service offer from your preferred servicing dealer.

~Natasha
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
I used to have this happen constantly, until I figured out what is actually causing it. It's not turning the car to "OFF" that makes the window go back up, but actually pulling the key out of the ignition while it's still going up.

So, what do you do? You can either:

-Roll the windows up, turn the key to off, wait for the windows to finish going up, and then remove the key, or

-Turn the key to off, remove the key, roll the windows up, then wait for them to finish rolling up before getting out of the car

I find option 1 to be the best for time-sensitive situations. Keeps you 'busy' for the second or two the windows need to finish rolling up.
I have this problem also on my 11 and it is in fact caused by just turning the key off. I don't take my key out until the windows are up so I know its not that. Also, this happens to my about very often. Once I ran into a store to come back and see my passenger window down, freaked me the hell out.

I'll have to try the re-calibration to see if it fixes it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I have this problem also on my 11 and it is in fact caused by just turning the key off. I don't take my key out until the windows are up so I know its not that. Also, this happens to my about very often. Once I ran into a store to come back and see my passenger window down, freaked me the hell out.

I'll have to try the re-calibration to see if it fixes it.
Hey Bmr4life,

Let me know how the re-calibration pans out. I'm always happy to step in and assist; just shoot me a PM and I'll get to work.

Crystal